PC guy thinking of converting...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brentus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Brentus macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    So, let me first start out by saying that I've been a Windows purist for a long time. I was a big PC gamer in high school and was staunchly anti-Mac. However, I'm out of college and my computer needs have changed. I need a computer for music, movies, photos, documents, and internet and I need something that has outstanding battery life. After doing crazy amounts of research, I'm seriously leaning towards a 13" Macbook Pro. Here's my one problem: When it come to music, I'm all about my Microsoft Zune. I absolutely love the software and hardware and don't plan on crossing over to iTunes or iPod anytime soon. Obviously, this is an issue. I've heard that this can be solved via VMWare, but I've also heard about Parallels and VirtualMachine. So the question is: which would be better for me? I don't want to have to reboot my computer in order to access my Zune software and music files. Also, in addition to these programs, do I have to purchase and install Windows XP seperately or does it come with the programs? I would only need Windows for my Zune, so I want the virtualization program that will be the fastest, most seamless, and have the least burden on my hard drive. Thanks!

2. Queso macrumors G4

This prompts a question. I remember back in October Microsoft announcing that a Mac version of the Zune software would be out before the end of 2010. What happened to that?

3. simsaladimbamba

VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop are the two commercial products to virtualise Windows on a Mac, Sun's Virtual Box is a free version to do the same.
    You have to purchase a Windows version separately though.

I'm a VMWare Fusion user, in the rare occasion, and I found it quite okay for my uses, I could even run Command & Conquer in that on my 2GHz 2007 iMac.

Just make sure, to get at least 4GB RAM, if you plan to use Windows on a daily basis.

Btw, there are plenty of threads about VMWare Fusion vs. Parallels vs. Virtual Box.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=938550
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015096
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1037011
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1062935
    and so on: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...te:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=m6&meta=

4. Brentus thread starter macrumors newbie

Not happening yet, and it might not happen period :(

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Your needs are pretty simple really either Parallels, Fusion or Virtual Box will work. You will also need a license of MS Windows too.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Is keeping your existing Windows computer an option for Zune? Yes, it is a little bit of a hassle but how often are you actually using the program? Additionally, it won't be long until software comes out to do what you currently cannot as there is a lot of potential money exchanging hands (I bet the new OS X will have it pre-installed). I have owned about 10 PC laptops and my 13 inch MBP was my first Mac. I was skeptical and so I initially partitioned my hard drive, got XP and its license, and Office, and a few other programs... and to be honest, after about 2 weeks of using Snow Leopard, I stopped using Windows completely (there goes a few hundred bucks). I got rid of the partition and my SSD I have now has 10.6 on it only. I use Windows maybe once every 3 months on my older laptop. All of the frustrations that consistently comes out of Windows does not happen nearly as much with Macs. A year and a half of daily use (12+ hours) has only resulted in one freeze-up making me have to restart. Snow Leopard's primary feature that makes it different from Windows is IMO the reliability factor as it is soooo stable. User friendliness of Snow Leopard is not bad at all and you'll learn quick.

As far as battery, the new MBP line uses a newer Lithium Polymer which they claim 10 hrs and I have heard as much as 8. Supposedly this battery will function for longer replacement intervals, as it can handle more cycles than other batteries. The mobility of the 13 is amazing as for a laptop, it is a pretty powerful unit, yet it is very easy to move around with. And possibly most importantly for summer mobile users is that is is impressively tough. I love mine more than every previous Dell I've had combined.

and yes, it is coming!
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370698,00.asp

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

While it is possible to run Zune in Parallels I doubt that is a smart thing to do.
    The 10h battery life they advertise is quite a exaggerated if you actually do something with the Notebook and if you have a VM running in the background that doesn't help it.
    If you are concerned about battery life. Get a Acer TimelineX or if you don't need too much processing power get a Asus UL Series Notebook.

If you have other reasons to switch to a MBP go ahead but for battery life that is the wrong decision.

8. filmweaver macrumors regular

I switched two years ago and am satisfied with my choice, Mac Pro 3,1. I figured the only way to make a Mac that I could use was to get the best Mac I could afford at the time. I didn't need portability as much as I needed the expandability options. I tried Fusion and it worked fine but as time went on I found I relied less and less on Winders and today I don't use it at all. That is a matter of leaving software you are familiar with and the change to something better or different. I find both systems have their ups and downs but much less downs with Apple. Good luck with your choice and never look back.

9. puttputt macrumors regular

IMO I think you should steer clear of having your Zune determine your computer choice. Is there an iPhone in your future? Have you tried an iPod?

10. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Microsoft doesn't seem to want Mac customers or doesn't think they would use a Zune. They have been 'thinking' about making a Zune app for the past few years but nothing official has ever materialized.

However, with the release of the new Windows Mobile platform you may start to see some more thought go into making a Mac port of the Zune software. Although so far they've gone the easy way out and only made a very basic media transfer app for Mac for the new phones. You might be better off going the iTunes/iPod route unless you are a Zune Pass subscriber.

I've tried VMWare with Zune and believe me it's terrible. iTunes/iPod is a much better route if you can manage. Otherwise, stick to PC. One way or another you'll need to make a choice and go with the lesser evil.

11. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The thought of an 8 hour battery sounds amazing, especially compared to something like this, which only gets 4.5 hours of battery life, on a good day. When you want to spend over a grand on a laptop, you can easily get a laptop with a better battery. Here's a great Dell laptop with a 9-cell battery, and an i7, in a 14" package.

The trick is to realize that, when you're spending over a grand on a laptop, almost every laptop is going to have what the MBP has, and then some. I can't say I like the Zune, but I have the v13, and it's the reason why I switched back to Windows full time. It's just a pleasure to use, through and through.

13. farmermac macrumors 6502a

There are multiple apps that will let you load your zune up on a mac

Doubletwist and media monkey are 2 I believe