PC Harddrives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeafRaiders, Oct 31, 2012.

1. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

I have 2x 250GB and 1x500GB HDDs (hotswap) in my current PC. Which I want to connect to the new iMac 27" once I get it in December(assuming the month it expect to be release). I am thinking of buying a 1TB or 2TB Harddrives to move the stuff onto that with no external power required I am thinking Lacie drives but they are quite expensive for my liking. I already have a a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, which i don't fancy messing with that.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is there a question in there somewhere, or are you just stating your intentions?

3. DeafRaiders thread starter macrumors regular

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That completely depends on your needs, budget and preferences. Only you know such things.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...unless you share them with us. Not sure why no one seems to understand that "best" is always highly subjective and the word is fairly meaningless unless you qualify it with exactly what you mean.

If you want to connect your existing drives then why are you thinking of buying more drives? Why is the ReadyNAS even mentioned? Definitely clarify your budget, goals, priorities, etc.

6. DeafRaiders thread starter macrumors regular

My goal is to continue using those drives as they have videos, and applications and one of them is used as my download folder and keep the cost low as the computer is going to cost me £1800+ with the BTO I want. Also don't want to use anymore external power as i only one one spare plug socket free.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

In the States we solve that cheaply one of two ways:

1 remove the receptacle cover and replace it with a new one that converts two power slots in the wall with 6 new power slots.
    2 use a power strip that provides 6-12 slots for power supplies for computers, displays, speakers....etc.

Remember that you are not likely to overload a circuit by adding either option. Modern equipment does not use all that much power. The problem is just needing a slot for each device's power supply.

8. DeafRaiders thread starter macrumors regular

If I need extra power I will do that but it would mean buying 3 external HDD caddy which I don't want.

9. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I think your best bet is to get soemthing like a 1tb FW800 external HDD that is bus powered. I have an Iomega ego 1tB fw800 that works perfectly. Bus powered so no extra required plugs. If you need the segmenting you can partition the drive to be as your previous set up was.

I think that is really the only solution to your power requirements. Otherwise to keep those drives as is, you would need to get a multidrive raid device that uses only 1 plug, but with the small sizes of those drives, it seems nearly worthless to do this. You can even get 2 or 3 of the 1tb FW800 drives for cheaper I believe.

just so you see what I have, here is the link
    http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/external-hard-drive-portable/ego-portable-series-mac-edition/ego-blackbelt-mac/?partner=4760

now, since it will be a newer iMac, there will be USB3 and ther are a whole host of USB3 bus powered drives like this. Just remember that some may require 2 usb ports for proper power, so look at the specs to make sure that it wont suck up 2 of your ports.

10. mawyatt macrumors member

I have a couple Hitachi 7200rpm USB3 drives that are USB powered. These work fine on my MBPr. They are 3/4TB though but only cost $80. I believe Hitachi has over 1TB USB 3 powered drives now.

These drives work in both USB2 and 3 ports, but are much slower in USB2.