PC has died - do I need to start all over again with my iPhone setup?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by copydeskcat, Feb 2, 2011.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Help and advice needed guys...

My PC has given up the ghost, all data lost.

When I setup a new one and install a clean iTunes, what will happen when I plug my phone in?

I don't care about mp3s or videos and my contacts sync to Gmail.

However, I want to keep my photos, notes and various other things.

What will happen? How do I avoid losing everything?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

CDC

2. JamesMB, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It's been awhile since I've done that, but I believe that iTunes will recognize your phone as new. At any rate your objective is to get your data off the iPhone without losing it.

You can save your music with this. http://www.getsharepod.com/

1) Connect your phone to your PC. IF iTunes opens, close it!
    2) If you have photos in the camera roll on your phone, your PC should recognize your phone as a camera and give you a popup with the option to open your photo editor. If you don't get the popup, open your photo editor manually.
    3) Click on the "camera" tab in your photo editor and select get photos, this should give you another window that will allow you to select all photos, or just the ones that you want.
    4) After the photos have downloaded to your computer, you can separate them into folders, witch can then be selected in iTunes and later synced back to your phone. This method will only allow you to get the photos in your camera roll.
    I believe Sharepod will also let you get your photos from other folders on your device, but I'm not sure about that.

Check your PC, to make sure that the photos downloaded, before deleting from your phone.

You can sync your notes with Outlook. On your FIRST sync with iTunes, you have the option of merging some of your data with your computer.

Could you please more specific?

3. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Hello copydeskcat,

I think this is a very delicate issue.

Same thing happened to me but I don't recall every step I took... :(

If somebody can validate my post, I would appreciate it.

It's like JamesMB said.

I plugged in the iPhone in new PC and I used Windows Explorer to copy pictures to PC.

Then, I opened iTunes and I clicked with right-button over DEVICE and made the Backup.

That operation will backup your SMS and a few more things because:

- Contacts will be synched with Outlook / Gmail.

- music and videos will synch with what's in the new iTunes (you will have to add them again into the new iTunes)

- photos: like I said what I did was copying directly the photos via Windows Explorer.

- Apps: I also used "transfer purchases" right-clicking over device (I'm not sure about this one).

4. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys - it's much aprpeciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

CDC