Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimobr

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
Hi everyone,

My 5870 is not working, I want to know if I can replace it with a PC version (standard / unflashed). Is it possible or will I have problems?
I do not need boot screen or a better video card, I use this Mac Pro just for audio recording and my old 5870 has always served me very well, so there's no reason to spend money on something more modern considering that I find a 5870 PC with very attractive prices.

Thanks!

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
An unflashed GPU will only work if you're at least on Lion. 10.6.8 doesn't support that.
Flashing the 5870 is easy however and will give you a boot screen on DVI and VGA.

dimobr

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
If you only use the machine for audio, i would suggest getting a Apple 8800GT card.
They sell at reasonable prices and will get the job done.
Initially I prefer to keep the same card model, the 8800GT seems to have less firepower. Thanks for your tip.

An unflashed GPU will only work if you're at least on Lion. 10.6.8 doesn't support that.
Flashing the 5870 is easy however and will give you a boot screen on DVI and VGA.
I'm with Yosemite, it is the minimum required for Pro Tools that I use. I'll be testing a PC 5870. Thank you.

dimobr

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2016
I get it, for starters I would want the same card as i had, but why would you need the fire power?
To tell the truth I dont know (LOL) ... I just dont want to suddenly have some sort of negative impact on the system. I already have a PC5870 on the way, I hope everything goes well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.