PC Help: Compu keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Jun 15, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So my PC (dont' worry i've got a mac as well) every now and then shuts down on it's own. I will come back and it will be on my login page, and then tells me that windows has encountered a serious error. Now i just added another gig of memory to it, but ran Memtest86 and it passed with 100%. Now i have no idea if it actually the memory, all i know is that something is wrong and is really annoying. any advice would be helpful.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Check your cooling fans. I have an old desktop that the vid card fan wasn't up to the task, and it would shut things down in the middle of things. I tested and proved this by opening the case, using an external fan to plow into it, and it would keep running until I turned the fan off.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well first thing you need to do is figure out the cause and if it is hardware related.

Does it just shut down all of a sudden and no blue screen and even if it was blue screen chances are pretty high it is a hardware issue and not a software one.

It could be a cooling issue and it crashing, your graphic card could be messed up.

I had that problem and it turn out that my graphic card was messed up. I replaced that with my room mates and I have not had an issue since then.

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Are your drivers up to date? I had a Win2k machine that had the incorrect driver for the ethernet card. Every time I plugged in the enet cable, the machine would reboot. It could also be the power supply.

5. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only reason i know it restarts is that i'll come back from work, and it will be on the login screen, and then windows willt ell me it has recovered from a serious error. I reseated my vid card which was an issue in the past. The only thing i've changed was put in new memory. Like i said, i ran a memory test, and it passed. I've since taken out the memory, and switched my old stuff to the other sockets and haven't had a problem. I really don't know how the memory could be broken but not broken. I'm going to fiddle around with it some more.