PC Help (& yup, I know this is a mac forum ;)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sikkinixx, Jan 31, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

the people around here are really helpful so what the hell, I might as well ask.

My PC is having troubles.

I put it all together last week and everything was fine. But when I powered it on yesterday it would boot into XP then blue screen then restart. When it actually made it into XP, I got the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" but it would restart again.

Fine, I'll reinstall windows. er... or not.

Today I fire it on, the Bios says something along the lines of "Overclocking unsuccessful! Press F1 to modify overclocking settings or F2 to load default BIOS settings"

I have never tried to overclock it so I hit F2 but nothing happened. After leaving it for 30 mins with nothing going on I turn it off and turned it back on.

Nothing! The computer is actually turned on, but no USB, no screen, nothing. It's just running with nothing going on. I tried removing the cmos battery but it hasn't done anything.

*sigh* I miss my Mac all of a sudden.

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Sounds like your mainboard is going south.

Find the Clear CMOS jumper on it, switch it to the position, plug it in, and try to turn it on.

It wont turn on, but it'll clear it. Then put it back, and turn it back on.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I already tried that and nadda.

*sigh* I have a feeling the CPU/MoBo is fubar. I hope it's not the CPU since they are hard to get right now apparently.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

What kind of CPU and mainboard is it?

Also, if you have an extra video card, try that one.

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

tis the E8400 3.0 ghz Wolfdale C2D, and an Asus P5K-E. The only spare video card I have is an old 9600 Pro which sadly is AGP so I can't test it out. Even if it were the video card though, wouldn't I get USB when i fire it up? Right now if I plug in an optical mouse it lights up for a sec then shuts off.