PC into External Media Center or Storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neonlaundry, Apr 30, 2007.

1. neonlaundry macrumors newbie

:confused:

I've asked this question a few other places.

I have an eMac with something like an 80GB HD. I have a Maxtor external 30GB HD. I have a windows machine thats fairly young with a good processor and a hefty HD as well. I don't use the Windows machine. I would love to gut it. I would love to make it into a Media Console or something of the sort. At least it could be converted into a tower of TB HD storage, right?

How do I go about doing this? Can someone direct me to some cool instruction page in Mac colloquialism? I don't know a whole lot of the windows jargon and find that every time I get into it I get extremely frustrated.

I just want to do something neat with this windows machine so it's not sitting there getting older and collecting dust.

BTW, I'm a poor guy. So, I can't go blow a bunch of money on it.

I sure would appreciate some advice.

2. justG macrumors member

justG

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I've got a Windows box and a Mac Pro. My Mac is the newer machine and my main one. My Windows machine is years old, running XP w/ 512MB RAM. I keep it around as my Internet workhorse and for extra storage. I use either Microsoft's RDC client or CoRD (the former is much faster and uses far less memory than the latter) to get into it when I need to. If that's what you're trying to do, I can walk you through it; it just takes a few minutes to set it up.