PC iTunes tagging issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwnelson301, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jwnelson301 macrumors newbie

I need some ideas!

My neighbor is just getting into iTunes and needed some help with his music, so I went over to his house and helped him download & set-up iTunes. After we dragged 10 or so albums in (from an old external he was keeping the music on), we tried to edit the tags to correct many of the problems with artist, album, etc.. This is where we ran into problems. I was unable to get the edits to the tag fields to stick. Once you click "done" (or whatever it says at the bottom) the files never get updated to reflect these new changes. I was attemping to edit tags just like I go on my mac (command-I), but the changes won't take. He's running a Vista laptop with iTunes 7.7.

Ideas? I'm stumped...

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

What's the permission on the MP3 files. Read/Write or Read-only? Are the files inside the iTunes library or just "referenced"?

3. jwnelson301 thread starter macrumors newbie

We basically grabbed the files off the hard drive and plopped them into iTunes. The music plays fine.

I'll have to check out where the files are "actually" located to be sure they made it to the new iTunes location.

He's something else I thought about. The files are being pulled from a external hard drive. Since he has so much music, we connected another hard drive to his laptop to store the new iTunes library. We did this before we moved any music. Maybe I set the new external drive incorrectly. I went into preferences (I think) and switched the location of the library to f: (which is the new external). If iTunes was never used, are there "library" files that I missed?