PC Laptop buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Aug 16, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I am in the market for a laptop, but I am waiting until Core i5 and Windows 7 hits the market.

I don't want to buy an Apple as I just don't have a used for Mac OS X right now. I used it for 3 years and it was great, but as soon as I installed Windows XP through boot camp I used most of my time there. Mac OS X is great, but it doesn't really have anything that interests me right now. I hope you guys understand.

The only problem with what I have encountered with browsing for a PC laptop is... I hate the new designs. I hate the glossy plastics, I hate the aluminum accents, I hate the oversized hinges, I hate the curvy designs.

I absolutely love the old fashion 90's black rough plastic laptops. They were durable, and they didn't look like something a 12 year old would think looks cool.

The only one that fits this image is the Thinkpad, but those are way overpriced for the specs.

Here are some pictures of laptops that I think look good and are very nostalgic for me from years past:

http://www.laptoppicker.com/archives/dell-vostro-1400-laptop.jpg

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/26402.jpg

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/thinkpad_r61_notebook_01.jpg

Any current age laptops that fit this bill?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Look at the business laptops. They look a little more old style than the consumer lines. They are about the only laptops left where you can get matte screens and very little buttons. I like the Dell Latitude E5500. If you get that model and you decide you want Mac again it will run Mac OS X fine. (I'm posting from one in OS X)

[​IMG]

I don't like the new PC designs ether. Until I went and looked at business laptops I saw all of those junktops at the stores and thought they were so ugly.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

LOL... They kinda remind me of the old Pismo.

[​IMG]

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Kinda is true. There is really no Mac that is like the new business PC's. The closest is the black MacBook. This Dell is almost a 15 inch Black MacBook. It just has a few extra lights and the thinkpad type mouse. I like that better than every PC trackpad. The Mac ones are OK until they get wet.

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

The problem with the Business laptops are they either provide you with integrated graphics or they offer workstation graphics cards like the Quadro, no consumer mid-ranged graphics cards.

I think I am going to wait for Core i5 and Windows 7 to be released and go for a Thinkpad T500. The Thinkpad has kept the same look in general for over 15 years, and they are built great from what I heard.

And yes, the Pismo is the second sexiest laptop ever, in my opinion. I wish there was a company that took old computer models and updated them.

6. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Those pictures look like all of the laptops at walmart. If Im not mistaken.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

You're mistaken. Looks like a Dell Latitude, an HP 6910p, and an IBM ThinkPad. Those are business class laptops, none which you'll find at Walmart.

OP, check out the HP ProBook 4510s. It has a 15" display and an optional discrete display adapter: