Pc/mac external drive read problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Richdj, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Richdj macrumors member

Hi there

I was working for a company last week, they had some photos they needed to transfer to my mac from an external drive formated and in use on a Windows PC.
    I transfered the photos to my mac without a problem I have NTFS for mac installed on my mac so was able to read the files . Although at one point in order to transfer one of the pictures it asked for my Admin password but still worked ok ...

I gave the drive back and thought everything was ok .HOwever the company called me yesterday to say that they have tried to reuse the External drive and instead of it coming up as 'Photobackup' as the drive used to be called, it just comes up with the Drive letter ie 'F:/DRIVE' and they cannot access it ....

It has V important info on it and they are worried my mac has somehow installed something on it or re formated it, although they seem to think the data is still there as the drive is not showing full free space ...

HAs anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it ....
    I cant believe my mac has ruined their drive ? ? ?

Many thanks in advance

Rich

2. simsaladimbamba

Macs can read NTFS formatted HDDs without additional software, they only need drivers/software, if they want to WRITE to an NTFS formatted HDD.

Can you visit them and have a spare HDD you could copy the data of their HDD onto?

3. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

yeah if my mac will still read the ext hard drive there is a chance i could drive over there, but its quite a long journey, i was hoping for a soloution i can give them

To clarify i READ the drive ok, and copied over the files i needed its when they have plugged the drive back into the PC at their end that it has caused a problem and the cannot READ the drive .

They have phoned to say my mac has corrupted or some how partitioned or done something to their drive .