pc/mac network setup help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scottporter, May 17, 2009.

1. scottporter macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have an existing lan/home network. The pc is running vista and is connected to a belkin wireless router.

I just got a new Macbook, the guides do not show the screens I am seeing.

My mac connects to the internet through my router. I turned on filesharing in system preferences. I cannot find any other info on how to talk to the PC from the Mac. I think I have Leopard or Leopold, or somesuch.

My pc connects to the internet and another pc i have through the same wireless router. Filesharing is on in the PC's.

How can I set up both mac and pc's to recognise the existing lan and each other?

VERY new to mac and not much better with pc's...:confused:

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Make sure that both computers have network folders named the same, and the Windows machines have a shared documents folder.

On the Mac in my case the network folder is named 'Workgroup'.
    This shows up when under 'Go' in the finder menu, or under 'Network' in any open finder window.

In Windows 7, a 'Workgroup' folder also shows up.

In XP bring up 'My Computer' out of the Start menu,
    click on 'My network places' on the left, and you Mac isn't showing yet click 'View workgroup computers'.

Then it's just user names and passwords.

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

5. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

6. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

lots of luck.

people keep putting up examples that do not match the Mac menu's. ie in my system preferences under sharing there is NO "windows sharing".
    I do have a line that says Windows users can access your computer at smb://

but nothing like that shows up on my vista machine under network.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options

Check "share files and folders using SMB".

Remember, doing that will store your login password in a format that can be cracked in a couple of seconds.

8. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

What is it you're actually trying to acheive, is it to simply share files between your PC and Mac?

9. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

yes....pc to mac

I am trying to transfer files between pc and mac both ways.
    I have been able to go from the mac to the pc (finder, go) but the pc does not show the mac in network at all, even when/while I am sucking files from the pc to the mac from the mac side.

I have set both computers to the same workgroup:WORKGROUP

filesharing is enabled on both machines

the pc has network discovery ON yet it does not see the mac, the mac does see the pc.

10. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

progress?

AH Hah! By setting the Use dynamic global hostname box on the edit computer name of sharing the pc at least see's the mac, but the mac will not allow access. I suspect some problem with users/passwords...I keep adding but i can't seem to get the login right, the computer name of the pc gets added in front of the username in the access denied dialog, so i added a user on the mac as computer name/user with read/write permission on the mac but that just returns another accesss denied dialog.

11. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

All you should have to do is go:

System Preferences > Sharing > Enable File Sharing. Once enabled, on the same screen, setup up which users and folders you want to share. Once enabled, at the top of the users and folders shared section, it will tell you how to reach your Mac

While in there click on Options and share it via SMB and not AFP. You can use FTP is you wish if your network is closed and/or you are not moving sensitive or confidential data.

Once you have disabled AFP and enabled SMB, back on the screen where you set which users and folders to share it will say 'Windows users can...'

File sharing should now work. If it isn't try looking at your firewall settings, although enabling file sharing should put the necessary rules in place

12. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

arrrrgh

the pc only saw the mac for a few minotes, gone now.
    don't know how to get it back, and now the mac can't get to the pc either.

this is too frusttrating!

13. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

back, sort of

got it back , the mac lost the network connection.

now mac see and can connect to pc. pc sees mac but cannot login.

i have set users and passwords on mac but when i try to log on from pc the mac says no
    the pc name shows before the username ... like:
    Scott-Dell\Scott

so i added both "Scott-Dell\Scott" and "Scott" as users but no joy, mac rejects all.-----------------------------------------------
    i even tried giving 'everyone' read permission. no go.what am i missing?

14. scottporter thread starter macrumors newbie

solution!

okay so the solution is on the windows pc when asked for the username and password to enter computername\username then your password....
    in my case "SCOTTSMAC\n1sp" SCOTTSMAC being the macbook name and n1sp being my user name on the mac. now all works peachy!