Pc Mac Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peter1234, Dec 15, 2008.

1. peter1234 macrumors newbie

I have a MBP, an iMac and a Sony Laptop running XP. The sony is connected to my BT Homehub router via an ethernet cable and the macs successfully receive a wireless broadband signal from the router. The printer is connected to the sony by USB. I am trying to network the three so that I can print to the canon wirelessly from my MBP and iMac.

I have followed the instructions in the user guide here: 'Networking Windows with Mac OSX' with out success. Getting stuck here:
    - Got the IP address of the sony as described (192.168.1.70)
    - Can't find a app in utilities called 'Directory Access' just 'Directory Utility' and 'Directory'. Neither of these when opened look like the app described in the guide.
    - Finder cannot locate the network set up on the sony
    - Tried to ping the ip address of the sony using Network Utility on MBP but 100% failure.

Help please......

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I print often to a Brother laser printer on a windows xp machine, its not too hard.

To print to the usb device connected to the Sony, you need to enable file and printer sharing, and share the printer. Microsoft has written this guide.

If using the Print & Fax utility in System Preferences doesn't work out so well, point Safari to http://127.0.0.1:631 and you can setup your printer with CUPS.

3. peter1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tried all of these already without success. Whilst I can get a wireless broadband signal I can't get either the MBP or iMac to recognise the windows network.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

So the printer is connected to the router?

Does it have Drivers in OS X? If not, then use the closest ones you can find

I just went to system preferences, print & fax setup. I added a printer and under "Location" it has my Network Name (SSID). It then looks on the network for the Printer, and the Airport Extreme Base Station broadcasts it's presence.

You must make sure your router recognizes the printer too, check it's setup utility.