PC->Macbook iTunes library switch easy as 1,2,3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kdum8, Jun 25, 2007.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I'll be getting my first mac soon and just wondered about moving my iTunes library over to OSX intact with all of my playlists and play counts intact. I currently have my iTunes library consolidated on an external harddisk. If I just point the new Mac iTunes here will it recognise it and take it over so to speak? :)

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Theoretically should do yes :confused:

As long as everything to do with your library is stored on the external hard drive, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Using the iTunes Preferences on the PC to move the music to the external won't quite suffice, assuming that's what you did. Make sure you get the library data file and the XML file, which are typically kept in the My Music folder alongside the iTunes Library folder. Here, check this out. :)

4. CptnJustc macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly from when I did this (though it was a while ago, and things may have changed), the problem is that the XML file lists the Windows paths to your songs, and you'll have to search-and-replace them with the new OS X-style paths to your songs. Could be tricky. =/ Or maybe not, but something to check before you do it.

Actually, looking at mine now, it seems like it uses URLs these days (file://localhost/users/...), which is better, but you'll still need to update it with the new path to your music.

5. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try it and see what happens! :)