PC & Macbook Wireless Internet Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ipodtouchy333, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Hey, I have a question about the connection between my PC, router, modem, and Macbook. We currently have wireless internet and the router and modem are connected to the PC upstairs as the Macbook travels around the house. Well, I want to sell the PC but what do I need to do in order to still have the wireless internet but nowhere to connect anything? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I thanks for the help!

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I think I understand where you're getting at.

The modem most likely is connected to a port in the router that says something like "modem" or "internet", and the PC is probably connected to one port on the router that is grouped in a set of four.

The PC doesn't need to be connected to the wireless router for everything to work.

Later down the road if you ever need to configure anything on your router you can do it wirelessly or just plug your macbook into the router with an ethernet cord.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You have a wireless router that is hooked up to your modem box. Your PC is connected to your wireless router? If it is, then you can just unplug it and you will be fine, you dont need a computer connected to it.

4. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Surely you can quickly check this - turn the PC off - have you still got an Internet connection to your Macbook? If so, you don't need the PC.

The ROUTER (not your PC) is what connects ALL your devices to the internet.

The Mac (or any computer on your network) will still be able to control/configure the router, by opening up a browser window on the Mac (or even on your iPod Touch) with an address like http://192.168.0.1 (your particular address may be different, dependent on exactly what model router you have).

5. ipodtouchy333 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ohhh, duh! Thanks everyone, it totally makes sense now.