Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinjm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Hi all, I'm new to the world of Apple and need to buy something to do some iPad development. I believe the Mac Mini will do the job, but I'm concerned that it doesn't have the capability to use a 'standard' analogue PC monitor, only digital via the HDMI port.

Is this the case? If so do I buy a cheap HD tv or is there another (cheap!) Mac that will do this?

Cheers,

Martin.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
No, you will be OK. By standard analog I assume you mean that your monitor has a blue VGA connector not a white DVI connector. You just need to buy the right adaptor. I have both types of monitor and I have 2 different adaptors. The one for you is this one : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng. This will fit in the TB port so no problem. You can also find copies on Ebay, but the adaptor is not very well secured in the shell.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi all, I'm new to the world of Apple and need to buy something to do some iPad development. I believe the Mac Mini will do the job, but I'm concerned that it doesn't have the capability to use a 'standard' analogue PC monitor, only digital via the HDMI port.
From the Mac mini specifications:
ScreenCap 2012-07-04 at Wed, Jul 4,10.43.52 AM .PNG
Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

martinjm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Cheers, no DVI so that one's no good.

The Mac cable states 'Mac with a Mini DisplayPort' so according to blurb, Thunderbolt will take a DisplayPort plug:

'...including the new Apple Thunderbolt Display. And since Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, your Mini DisplayPort devices plug straight in too.'

Is that the case (and yes, blue VGA)?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Cheers, no DVI so that one's no good.

The Mac cable states 'Mac with a Mini DisplayPort' so according to blurb, Thunderbolt will take a DisplayPort plug:

'...including the new Apple Thunderbolt Display. And since Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, your Mini DisplayPort devices plug straight in too.'

Is that the case (and yes, blue VGA)?
The adapter in the last link I posted will work for you.

martinjm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Brill, thanks for your help folks.

Now where's my credit card....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.