PC Monitor with PS3??

TheEpicFilmCo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Uk
Hi
Would it be possible to just use a standard PC monitor with a PS3? Without the monitor being plugged into a PC?
Please reply ASAP, this would be a much cheaper alternative to a TV.
Thanks.

TheEpicFilmCo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Uk
Could you give me a link to a suitable monitor around the 22inch size for under £150? Preferably under £100?

Comment

TheEpicFilmCo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Uk
Awesome.
So the HDMI lead from the PS3 plugs into the back of the screen and then the game will run in full HD?

Comment

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
no, you'll need a HDMI to DVI convertor or just buy a HDMI to DVI lead, you can find some on ebay easy enough and theyre not that expensive ;)

Comment

TheEpicFilmCo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Uk
Will that decrease the picture quality or will it still be HD? And how does the sound work?

Comment

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
it wont decrease anything ;) essentially HDMI is DVI, there both digital, except for hdmi carries sound too,

as for the sound, i'm really not sure, DVI to HDMI wont carry sound, but hdmi to dvi might, if not then you'll need to look at an external sound set up,

Comment

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
yeah that cable will do the trick, but i really dont know about sound, my ps3 doesnt have separate sound in or out, so, i really dont know :S

Comment

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Yep, I'm pretty sure that would do the trick.

One of my friends uses an HDMI->DVI cable to play on his (formerly my) AL2216W. He pulls audio of the analogue port.

Comment

TheEpicFilmCo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Uk
I'm getting a PS3 Slim by the way guys, and the only ports on the rear are
Ethernet, HDMI out, Digital out, AV Multi out and AC in. No 3mm audio out socket. :( So does this mean that i can't get any sound?

Comment

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Can't belive no-one has said this to you, or you haven't worked it out yet.

You use the AV Multi out cable (composite cable) that came with the PS3. You then get a 3.5mm headphone - Female Phono jack adapter (about $2-5) and that will give you a 3mm audio jack to plug into your speakers / monitor.

Not that difficult really ;)

You then just make sure you select AV multi out as the sound output.

SIMPLES!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.