PC MS Word to Mac MS Word.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rii, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Rii macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

Brand spanking new here, just out of the wrapper!

I'm trying to figure out a problem that a work mate has.

When he get's Word documents from colleagues who work on PC's he then begins to work on them with his MacBook. Trouble is, these Word documents that come from PC's seem to drop the SpellCheck feature. No red squiggly lines or anything.

I have yet to figure out what version of Word these documents are being authored in on the PC's but i know it's pre 2007/8.

Are there any known issues with working on Word documents from a PC on a Mac? He seems to have no other issues with them apart from not having his auto spell checker function work.

Any idea's?

Cheers
    Rii.

2. Rii thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I haven't heard of any problems between the two versions in recent years. SpellCheck isn't a document thing, it's built into each application and the AutoCorrect can be turned off.

Most Office versions use .doc, but the idiots at MS decided to make .docx the default for the newest Office. That could be a problem. If you know anybody who has the latest Office, make sure they save EVERYTHING in .doc. Like hell I'm going to let MS introduce some new file format that has no benefits aside from making us all upgrade.

4. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Ditto.

Unfortunately, dealing with so many people that upgraded their Office essentially forced me to upgrade. :mad: