Pc netbook advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac'nCheese, May 20, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Looking for the cheapest netbook for my grandfather who just wants to see what the big deal this internet thing is. Maybe some emailing, looking at the news and playing a game of chess. Tablets too small for him, so I was thinking of something like:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LU.SGD0D.033

or

us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LU.SGD0D.033

I know, this is an apple forum but thought if someone has a cheap but reliable netbook they could recommend, I'd appreciate it.

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Interesting question.

I'll open with the Pro-Apple answer. Have you considered getting him an iPad? It's a great way to get started with the Internet and very simple to learn.

Ok, out of my system.
    Personally, I've had good luck with an HP Mini netbook. I bought it for my wife several years ago. It ran windows XP great until SP3 or so. Then it just felt bogged down. A co-worker of mine still runs XP on his and has no complaints (other than it's windows).

Now mine runs a slightly fruitier OS :apple:

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

He said tablets are too small.

Anyway, I personally LOVE the msi wind u100. Extremely cheap. Hackintoshable. Or can run windows 7! I had a quad boot of os x 10.6, windows xp, windows 7, and ubuntu. Plus it runs android.

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thanks. My brother also recommended an HP. Sounds like a good compromise between cheaper then others but also a good brand. I don't think my grandfather would do well hunched over the ipad, losing half the screen or so for the keyboard. That's why I thought of something small enough to move around his tiny apartment but yet easy to leave on a table, with a good viewing angle and nice, real keyboard.

5. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

The wind is a 92% full keyboard. Very comfortable, also can be easily modded with a touch screen and multi touch track pad

6. mykweb macrumors member

It tablets are too small why is a netbook with its 10 or 11 inch screen going to be any different.

Surely the 10 inch tablets with the magnification feature enabled would get around these issues. Only downside with atablet is the onscreen keyboard.

I used to have a Dell mini 10. Good laptop very light weight. Only thing I would say with netbooks is cram as much ram into them as possible. I had 2 gig in my dell and it flew. However the original shipping was 512mb.

Mike