Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Quick list of laptops rated by brand based on reputation and personal experience:

1. Apple (Because my powerbook is the best computer I have ever! owned)
2. IBM (Because they are some of the most durable and consistently good laptops...even if they do run Windoze...not sure if they are as good since the Lenova purchase though)
3. Toshiba (Because they are more sexy than IBM but have a good reputation)
4. Alienware (Sexy but expensive)
5. Sony (Super thin and sexy...reputation not so good)
6. Dell (Inexpensive somewhat reliable laptop)
7. HP (A decent HP can be purchased from any Bestbuy or CompUSA in the country)

Gateway, Compaq (even though it is now owned by HP), eMachines et al...These companies don't make my list because I have know people who have major problems with Hardware or Customer Service with these companies)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
ddrueckhammer said:
3. Toshiba (Because they are more sexy than IBM but have a good reputation)

Interesting. I'd run into so many problems because various Toshiba machines wouldn't run later versions of Windows and they weren't having the same problems or having problems with the same versions of Windows.

Village

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Austin, Tejas
sneth said:
My price range is about $1.2k-$1.5k

Getting a powerbook at that price range means barely 1ghz, weak ram. etc....

I need some upfront processor power, lots of ram, and at least 15"

I also need to be able to dev for some .net , not all the time, but some. I use Virtual PC on my g3, so i know it runs ok. I just not sure how a pwoerbook would handle win2k or XP. I do not have the $$ for a macintel.

I do not want a black brick. I know the Thinkpads are nice, but they are clunky. Every VAIO i have ever touched, has fallen apart. I will not buy an HP/Compaq product. So i think i'll look more into the Sharps, Toshiba's, and random 3rd parties.

Appreciate the responses. Some guys use some 17" powerbooks here, i might demo their virtual pc to see how well it works out.

I struggled the entire year with buying a Powerbook because I loved the Mac OS and hardware, but it was hard to justify as I do .NET development for a living. Last month I ordered an IBM T43 with UXGA screen and DVD burner. It might be Windows XP, but the hardware makes up for it. I really like the almost 'retro' look of the IBM laptops, and even though Lenovo gets my money, it's still an IBM.

Do you truly have to be mobile? Will you need only to roam the office, or will you have to visit client sites frequently?

Your other option would be to buy a $300 Windows desktop, stick it under your desk, and use Remote Desktop from your iBook or refurb Powerbook to access your .NET development tools.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
bousozoku said:
Interesting. I'd run into so many problems because various Toshiba machines wouldn't run later versions of Windows and they weren't having the same problems or having problems with the same versions of Windows.
I'm going to echo this sentiment. My wife and one of my friends both have Toshibas. Not a huge sample, but both have had major problems.

The friend's has some sort of controller problem (she live in TX, so I really haven't discussed it with her), and it has been in their hands for about two months b/c they need to get parts from Asia - which really shouldn't take that long, but hey, they don't seem to care. I think the reason she hasn't killed anyone is that she has a backup that seems to work better.

The wife's had a fan go out, the battery lasts about one hour, and it has the usual problems with freezing when coming out of sleep (or just never waking up). She also had iPod/USB issues (Apple sent her to Toshiba which told her that they didn't know what the problem was and couldn't help - there is a fix on the Apple site now). She's planning on selling it in the next several months.

I'd go with IBM, but I like the style almost as much as my PB.

manzanaloca

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2005
Texas
manzanaloca said:
This probably doesn't have the processing power you want, plus it's a 12", but I saw them today at our Sam's club and I have to say it looked pretty nice.

Averatec 3715 (Look familiar?)
3715.jpg

Here are some reviews:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1865103,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/Averatec_3715/4505-3121_7-31517733.html

http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?productID=14067&brandName=Averatec&productName=Averatec+AV3715-EH1&display=priceDetail

Averatec seems to be doing better with their laptops. At first I thought, come one now, when I saw this laptop. But after having my own iBook now, although the two cannot compare(the ibook is better), I wouldn't stop from buying the 3715 if I really needed a PC laptop.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I'm a little surprised more people haven't tried to copy Apple with this regard...the looks are one of key selling points for Apple.

Or perhaps many have tried and just failed so miserably we didn't hear about them.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
nbs2 said:
I'm going to echo this sentiment. My wife and one of my friends both have Toshibas. Not a huge sample, but both have had major problems.

I personally am not a Toshiba fan, but my impression is that the survey data backs up their place on the list, even though you and Mr. B have had a number of bad experiences.... I personally would ditto on the Thinkpad being my one and only shopping stop, though, if I wanted a non-Apple notebook. Some of the post-Lenovo ones look really nice, especially in the ultralight category. :)

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Asus makes some cool looking laptops. In fact, I suspect (could be wrong) that Apple outsources their manufacturing to Asus, and so Asus has some similar design lines.

Can you wait for the Mactels if style is so important?

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
dubbz said:
How about a Ferrari? :D (eh, I guess it might be a bit outside right price range though).
But... that just looks ridiculously cheap and nasty. Honestly, just look at it!

Reminds me a picture a put together when the iMac G4 was released mid-2002:

this.jpg

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
sneth said:
I am getting close to giving in, and i just cant sacrifice portable power for the apple price.

So i am looking for a PC notebook that is not a big black brick.

I haven't committed to going PC yet, i am just looking for some comparisons. I will be doing mostly mutliplatform developement, including .net, so the powerbook option might be out the window already.

what we got?

Oh come one. People over-dramatize
1. the absolute performance difference between ppc and x86 portable platforms
2. the price / performance difference between ppc and x86 when we take into account design as well
How much do you pay for a fast and well designed x86 laptop? Hint: it's certainly not below $ 1000.
3. the performance they themselves need. So are you going to professionally edit movies and use 3D CAD applications on the go? If you need the fastest of the fastest that's just not realistic to ask from a laptop. A quadcore powermac still anihilates the fastest x86 laptop around.

Kelson

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2002
Dallas, TX
Basically, Alienware or Thinkpads are the two decent options in the PC laptop world, IMHO. I'm rather partial to the Thinkpad T42p.

- Kelson

sneth said:
I am getting close to giving in, and i just cant sacrifice portable power for the apple price.

So i am looking for a PC notebook that is not a big black brick.

I haven't committed to going PC yet, i am just looking for some comparisons. I will be doing mostly mutliplatform developement, including .net, so the powerbook option might be out the window already.

what we got?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Abstract said:
Not really. And look at the type of things he wants to do. Getting a WinXP laptop may be the best thing to do for him if he doesn't want to sacrifice power for portability.

Also, not all Windows laptops are ugly. You can get a laptop that's quite nice from other companies as well, but they all cost as much as the Powerbook anyway, usually more, so what's the point in going that route?

True about the power/portability. But I'd argue that there are very few PC laptops that come close to the attractive form factor and portability of the PowerBook; and none that do it cheaper. If you want power there are plenty of P4 laptops out there, but most look pimp like the Dell XPS and Alienware. And they're HUGE.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
EricNau said:
If you must *sigh* ...
then Sony makes very good computers - and they look nice too. (the only problem with them is really the OS)

that and fujitsu look ibook-like for an ibook price from $899 to $1099

compaq, hp, toshiba, gateway, and dell make the "brick" looking laptops in that price range but for more money those companies have some decent looking models over $1200 dollars

alien and ferrari are nice but pricey and i don't want to know what they cost

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
nbs2 said:

The friend's has some sort of controller problem (she live in TX, so I really haven't discussed it with her), and it has been in their hands for about two months b/c they need to get parts from Asia - which really shouldn't take that long, but hey, they don't seem to care. I think the reason she hasn't killed anyone is that she has a backup that seems to work better.

The wife's had a fan go out, the battery lasts about one hour, and it has the usual problems with freezing when coming out of sleep (or just never waking up). She also had iPod/USB issues (Apple sent her to Toshiba which told her that they didn't know what the problem was and couldn't help - there is a fix on the Apple site now). She's planning on selling it in the next several months.

I'd go with IBM, but I like the style almost as much as my PB.

Overall, everything I have heard or seen about Toshiba has been really good. Of course, there are people who have problems with them just like there are people who have had problems with their Macs. My girlfriend has a 17" Powerbook she bought last year that has had problems with the sound-card, power input, track-pad, and latch. It has certainly changed her mind about the quality of Apple hardware. I think when you spend near $3k on a laptop you expect perfection. I placed Toshiba above Alienware on the list because of cost considerations. As some have noted, I left out some of the minor players as well. Avertec has some laptops that are rated highly on Cnet right now but I have no experience with them. Personally, if I had to purchase a PC again I would get IBM...they may not be sexy but they are rock solid and you will thank yourself for being practical in the end.

remingtonhill

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Don't be Stupid!

I am a mac convert. Was big Windows Guy, allways bashed mac. Powerbooks are awesome machines. They feel as fast or faster then windows pent. M laptops that should technically be faster. 15" & 17" have great screens, even the Jan. 05 models.

BUY REFURBISHED! Absolutely brand-new condition. Don't worry, you won't be able to tell. 15" models from $1299. A bit more then an $800 Dell or Toshiba, but so much better.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
manzanaloca said:
This probably doesn't have the processing power you want, plus it's a 12", but I saw them today at our Sam's club and I have to say it looked pretty nice.

Averatec 3715 (Look familiar?)
3715.jpg

Here are some reviews:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1865103,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/Averatec_3715/4505-3121_7-31517733.html

http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?productID=14067&brandName=Averatec&productName=Averatec+AV3715-EH1&display=priceDetail

OK nothing screams "Ripoff" more than that. I seriously thought it was an iBook before I saw the two buttons on the trackpad.

wildcard

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
western PA
Averatecs are pretty decent machines. I owned one of the 3200 series (12" screen, AMD 1600 processor). One of the few 'pros' in favor of that over an Ibook is the availability of widescreen models. Staples is selling the 13" widescreen AMD models for around $900, and there may be an additional mail-in rebate on that.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
wildcard said:
Averatecs are pretty decent machines. I owned one of the 3200 series (12" screen, AMD 1600 processor).

I've still got a 12" 3150P Averatec, and, yes, it's not a bad little machine. At the time I bought it I was surprised at the features offered on it (including WIN XP Pro) for the money. Not the fastest laptop out of the gate, not the greatest at wireless connectivity, but it served the purpose at the time i needed a small laptop. Now that I've got my 15" PB the Averatec along with my desktop PC, will go into quiet retirement....

I imagine that there are some good improvements in the current Averatec models and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that someone who needs a reasonably priced small laptop take a look at what they have available.

OTB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.