PC or iMac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Oct 25, 2008.

?

iMac or PC?

1. iMac

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. PC with same specifications. About 1/2 less price.

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My friend, well, his family, is getting an iMac. They're in debt. He said that every PC they owned got a virus in 2-3 years, and COMPLETELY broke down. no safe mode, nothing. So they decided to get an iMac. like I said before, they're in debt. Do you think they should get an iMac or a PC and then as soon as they get a virus format there HDD?They just bought a new house, so they are in debt. but my friend figures, if they're in debt, and going to be in debt for some time, why not just get something that works? and doesn't break down.

2. minicoop503 macrumors regular

I know that most of the people here will say "Get an Imac they never get viruses" or something like that.

However, if every Windows machine they have gotten in the past couple years has been corrupted to the extent that you have described, I'm thinking they might just need to learn how to use any computer a little more smartly and safely. It is fairly hard to do that, even on purpose.

Anyways, if I was in debt I would personally go for the cheaper alternative and just learn some basic commom sense about 'safe' computer use and how to take care of your computer.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yup, prezactly. They probably would be better off with an iMac but that hardly sounds like the least of their worries at the moment.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This sounds very sensible to me.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think this is the best response yet. While you're clearly asking Mac or PC in a Mac forum and you'll clearly get the "get a Mac" responses, your friend needs a computer but doesn't need a mercedes. In other words, your friend's theory on "well we'll be in debt for a long time anyway" is the very reason why they're in debt.

I would echo the statement that they need to buy whatever they can afford with cash in hand and just be better with their machines. Frankly, I've never had so many problems with a PC that couldn't be solved as your friend seems to have. Perhaps safer web browsing, virus checks - keep the definitions updated, etc.

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, the reason they're in debt is because they just got kicked out of thier old house that they were renting because the owner wanted it back, and they were like 'well we can afford this,it'll still take time to pay though' so they bought a house. and they do know how to use a computer safely, its just if they even browse website that are fairly common, there anti-virus stuff doesn't help, and it crashes there PC.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Yeah, I rarely get virus (when I used to use Windows)
    I always wonder why my friends always get virus though?

I guess we need to educate people more about using their computer and surfing the web wisely.

Good Free AV : Avira AntiVir, AVG, Avast
    Spyware and Malware (you will need more then 1 in your computer): Spybot, Ad Aware, something else which I have forgotten.

These things will slow down the PC though but if you are not willing to live with the virus then you will need these, sadly.

I do hope with the popularity of Macs these days, we won't see widespread virus problem on the mac like what happen to windows :(

8. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

for me. I have 2 HDDs so if i get a virus ill format my my main HDD and reinstall vista but still have my stuff in my other hdd

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think the iMac, especially a refurbished one, can be so much more than a new PC which would be the price of a refurbished iMac anyway. To me, it's a no-brainer.

The Mac, due to it's OS is somewhat safer than a PC against viruses. But in reality what makes the Mac OS far, far safer is that it is too small a target for virus writers and this will make any Mac virtually virus-proof.

I have used Apple products since 1979 and never got a virus until a few years ago, and even then it was rare as an occurrence. I have had a few PCs, and got hit by viruses much more requiring me to reinstall Windows. I found that no fun especially since I was a PC tech (MS, Dell, HP) for 8 years as well as fixing Macs, and mostly had to deal with PC/Windows viruses on a mass level sometimes fixing hundreds of machines. I would not want to deal with a PC if I wasn't a tech since I can see what can crop up and attack Windows.

There is also something to be said of the time you save using a Mac vs. troubleshooting a PC. A computer should be a tool, not a hindrance. That being said, Windows has come a long way but is still far from OSX.

Another great, cheaper option is the Mac mini and it's what I use everyday.

10. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Uh, for the specific situation you're describing, I'd just go with a PC. Seriously...just stop with the questionable sites and unzipping of suspicious files and you shouldn't be getting viruses...I have PCs and a Mac, no problems on either one so far. The last time I had anything was probably 5 years ago in the form of a Trojan (though that technically wasn't my fault) and it was rid pretty quickly.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Definitely a PEBAC error.

How about a Mac Mini + cheap $50 TFT off ebay?

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to say your friend needs to learn to pratice basic safe computer us because clearly they are doing something wrong.

When my parents, my GRANDPARENTS, my brother and I for a fact go over 4 years with out any real problems something is clearly wrong. I have multiple friends who are that way.

Of those people listed my personal PC seems to have the most problems and it mostly been hardware issues not software.

Sorry but your friend clear can not use a computer correctly. A windows PC runs very well if a few basic and simple things are done first. All of them cost little to no money. Based on what you said a Mac will not solve the problems and if anything will make it worse because they already pratice poor safe computer use and more than likely will get worse when they get a mac thinking they are invincible.

13. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

If it's just the tower that's kaput I'm guessing they've got a mouse, keyboard and monitor already- why not go for a Mac Mini then?

I find that, even with careful Windows use, you need to do a reinstall every couple of years anyways and that's not just because of a virus. I found XP used to go pear-shaped of it's own accord eventually anyways.

I never thought I'd say this but... GULP... I wouldn't recommend an iMac in their situation.

Did I really say that? I need a hot shower...

14. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Actually they had a laptop. not a tower before. He just called to rub it in my face: He got a Macbook...and guess what? with a iMac. he said he got like 50$ off the macbook because he got the iMac.
    he also said that they're not that much in debt. its just that well, his father is going to iraq in a few months, and he'll need a laptop there to(he just got promoted to colonel). And its nice to have more than one computer in a house. and that they got loans on them so they don't have to pay it all up front.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some people can just destroy Windows and their computer. We're forever fixing my cousins various computers so it does get a bit annoying at times. A mac would likely benefit them, plus they hold their value longer should they want to resell (case in point, my 4 year old PowerBook can go for £400 with its spare battery. And will be doing once I can make up that extra 400 for a new MB :)).

Why not tell them to get a PC but install Linux with some security on it to keep them from breaking it?

Ah nevermind... An iMac and MB is what I'm after too, grr!

16. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Lol, they're to hard-head'd for me to tell em anything and them listen. lol, Even though I do think i know about the same, if not more than them about computers(well, Windows and then after coming on this site Macs also). My advice would be: If you can afford it, buy it, if you can't don't. but I guess they can afford it, I don't know.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the bold part is what is wrong with a lot of people. They want what they can not afford....

A computer should not be something that has a loan on it.

They did make a good choice but still they are spending more than they clearly can afford.

18. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

My sister and brother-in-law are the same. I gave them my old HTPC (a Shuttle) with a fresh install of XP MCE on it- I'd had that computer for about 4 years and it worked great, no problems. They've had it a month and whenever I go around they always ask

"I know it's a pain, but while you're here can you look at the computer...?"

Next time they ask I'm just telling them no. I gave them a perfectly good computer for nothing and they've treated it like crap. They don't look after anything they have. What's that old saying? "Something given has no value"?

Apologies for the rant- back on topic.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I would say go with the iMac - simply because of the fact it'll last longer (OS-wise). The Windows system degenerates significantly and over time you'll end up paying more in the long run, or else just get used to having a really crappy, slow computer.

Not to mention their little problem with Virii..

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

For people who mess up computers all the time I always recommend mac just because there is less to mess up. Going with the imac seems like the right thing to do.

21. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Like I said before: They got a Macbook and an iMac. So I guess this thread is now a: What would you get?

22. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Poll fail! of cause the results will be biased… this is a Mac forum.

also show me a PC with the same specs and form factor as the iMac at half the price. then add OS X and iLife on tip of that. im not saying the iMac will always beat a PC but for how good it looks, how thin it is and how powerful it is and the software that comes with it, its a good price.

23. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

okay. HP Compaq dx2400 Microtower - Genuine Windows Vista® or Windows Ultimate® - GX788AV custom built 250GB HDD, 1GB memory, E5200 Core 2 Duo processor. ATI Radeon HD2400XT(256MB DH) SATA Optical drive. and Windows Vista for 657$. the iMac got a little worse graphics card, and it costs 1199$? something like that. and then OS-X- 150$. but then Windows costs 120$ also. so that'd be 30$ extra. 690$ vs the 1199$. seems about half. well not half but still.

24. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes of course a PC tower will be less expensive than an iMac. its a totally different form factor which is very cheap. the iMac's form factor is an 'all-in-one' which is almost totally composed of notebook parts inside a thin case with an LCD.

here are all the specs of the popular all-in-one Desktops. the Dell XPS One wins on price for the performance and the VAIO is probably second. but for what you get with the iMac a great looking thin aluminium case, great specs, 20" LCD, the best CPU ignoring clock speed, OS X, iLife… its a great price.

EDIT: the CPU in the 20" iMac is the E8135 (Montevina)

Attached Files:

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see this is why it is worthless ot argue with a apple fans.

They start putting extra restriction on completing with price because they know in a fair power comparison apple general lose time and time again so add in some extra restriction it what it takes to win.. Issue here is an example. Cost is the issue not the space of the computer. As a desk top general the tower is a none issue. I could take a photo of my PC set up and it shows how little of an issue the space is. Hell a iMac would cause me more problems than it would solve because it would eat up more desk space.

I would throw out the cost of OSX and ilife because if the computer comes with windows it going to match OSX and you know exactly the point of the argument. So do not turn this into a comparison of the 2. iLife is just throwing extra stuff in that a vast majority of people do not need or ever even use....