PC or iMac???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Dec 13, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Right now, I'm using a verrrry old PC, about 6 years old. This is due to this. I only have $800 out of the $1600 refund for that computer, and I'm not even sure if I'll be getting the rest back. I'm deciding if I should get a PC :)eek:), because I can buy a better spec'd PC for half the cost of an iMac and hackintosh it. The reason I want to do this is because I can get a Geforce 9800 in a PC, and I'm stuck with a 2600XT in the iMac. I would really miss the looks of the iMac, however. What should I do?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I'd get the 24in Imac screamer model.

If you just want an iMac, there's a few refurb 17 inchers on Apple's refurb zone for $700ish.

Hackintosh is crap. It never works 100%. Kinda like Vista.

My MBP is spending the weekend taken apart, because I've broken my T6 driver earlier. So I'm using a pc I bought five and a half years ago that was originally put in store in late 2002. I feel you. Its a certain slowness that makes you appreciate your good hardware.

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I only have $1600 to spend, maybe not even that. I want to play games on it, like GTA IV (which has insane requirements) and the 3.06Ghz iMac would be good, but I don't have the money.

I was also thinking about getting a PC for games and a Mac for mac things, but I don't think I would like dealing with two computers. Any advice anyone?

4. mbleopard macrumors regular

Thats a tough call, the only thing that I do not like about Apple is the lack of a midrange desktop that has a tower. While the iMac's are nice, I do not like the fact that they more or less have laptop parts in them

Anyways, I dont know how computer savvy you are, but check out tigerdirect you can get more or less a complete kit to build a pc. Its a lot cheaper than buying a computer from dell or hp or whatever, the only downside is you have to put it together yourself

If you go the PC route, I have heard some good things about efix and for about a month or so over the summer i put osx on my old dell and it ran fine, as long as you use an ethernet cable and not wireless

But as another user said, hackintosh usually dont work that well so if you plan on mostly using Leopard and only occasionally using windows, i would opt for the iMac

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

An Xbox360 or a PS3 is going to meet new game system requirements for longer than any computer you can buy today...

If you're going to buy a PC, there are a number of Acer Aspire little black boxes on newegg that are an awesome value. But they're not macs.

6. six.four macrumors 6502

You clearly either have:

1. Never used a hackintosh.
    2. Tried to install it unsuccessfully a long time ago.

The new releases have MUCH better compatibility, and in general, the hackintosh scene has evolved tremendously since its inception.

Plenty of people have their hackintoshs working perfectly. Sure - some hardware may still have compatibility issues, but if you're building your own desktop - its very easy to build it with parts with known compatibility - basically what psystar does.

-------

As for the OP. It really depends on what type of work you do and what you need from a computer. If you need power - then go with a PC for value. You can easily build a loaded iCore 7 nahalem w/ a ATi 4850/4870 + 24" LCD (or even a 30" if you can find a good deal) for $1600. The iCore 7 w/ a 4850 (which btw, is overall superior to the 9800gtx and is cheaper) will run circles (and then some) around the iMac. Additionally - custom building a PC gives you the flexibility of upgrading pretty much every single part when/if necessary - not to mention the option for multiple bays for storage.

If you've got a tight space, need the all in one, or do work that can only be done in OS X (or just are incredibly vain) then the iMac is for you.

For power and value - custom built PC is obviously the way to go.

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I've used a number of hackintosh computers, enough to say they're crap. They can't use Apple Update, the legality of downloading hacked up Leopard installers is questionable, and far as I'm concerned, the hardware issues aren't worth dealing with. There's EFI dongles for installing with a real disc, and lots of happy people on the web who say they have a hackintosh and its just dandy, but this is going to be a primary device for the OP. And the average hackintosh just isn't worth being your only computer as far as I'm concerned. Wifi problems, sound problems, sleep problems, no updates, no phone support, no applecare and no genius bar... should I go on?

8. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

If I did go the PC route, that's what I was planning on doing, just buying parts and building a PC.

Yeah, I have a 360, but with a PC you can do mods, and as far as I'm concerned, a mouse and keyboard is better than a controller.

I'm doing video editing, and gaming, I was looking at the Core i7s. I would love to do that, it's just that Macs have a certain "feel" to them. I mean, if I don't get the other $800 back, and I'm stuck with $840 for a computer, then I'll have to go with a PC. But if I do get the rest, I'll be faced with the same decision. I'm mostly planning on running games like Left 4 Dead (sucks on 360 IMO), GTA IV ( Much better on PC if you have the recommended specs), Crysis, Far Cry 2, and Fallout 3.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ha updates and support! That's really a silly way to bash the hacintosh ;)

Now have you used Vista?

10. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

To avoid vista try building your own pc and put xp on it.

11. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I would never think of installing Vista on anything. ;)

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Any further communication from the seller? At least you got $800 back out of it so far. Anyway, if you are gaming, PCs are the way to go for most people, unless you get a Mac Pro. In PC's, everything is upgradable, and if something breaks or you just need a speed boost, just go buy a new part. Macs, it's throw away the unit and go get a new one when the video card can no longer do the latest and greatest.

For most users, a Mac is fine for what we do, just basic stuff, some photo editing here or there, etc. For everyone else that are heavy gamers, or use applications that require constant upgrades, would find it more economical to look into a PC.

13. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Nothing yet from the seller. I sent him a message Friday asking if there was anything back from UPS. Still haven't gotten a response.

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards a PC, although, if I somehow get enough money, I may go for the $1,900 refurb iMac 3.06Ghz. But I doubt I can get $1,900.

14. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

wait for the new macs in january. if you dont do gaming with your pc you dont need specs. vista is very heavy and you will lose your computer's good powers. that depends on your needs. if you like OS X and other mac stuffs you need iMac

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Some are, some aren't.

Some Macs don't work 100%, either.

You mean the hackintoshes that you've used are crap.

Some of them can, it just depends on your install.

You can install a retail copy of OS X. There's no need to dl anything other than the drivers for all those nice video cards that hackintoshes can take that "real" Macs can't. :rolleyes:

That's fine for you. No one who doesn't have at least a moderate knowledge of assembling tinker toy sets shouldn't go the hackintosh route.

Of my four "Macs" (iMac 24", Mac Mini, MBP, Hackintosh) two have had to be repaired, and neither was my Hackintosh. It may only be 98% of a real Macintosh, but considering it's faster than the four-core Mac Pro for less than half the price, I think it's a kick-@$$ computer. Keep believing that Steve knows what's best for you - it's how he makes his money. ;)

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That post really did just make my day :D

18. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I have a question to the people who own two computers: Do you like using two computers? Is it fine? Because I'm thinking I may build a gaming PC for $600 and use the rest of the money to buy an Alu MacBook. That way I get the best of both: A nice-looking Mac and a gaming PC. The only thing I'm worried about is that I might not like having two computers.

19. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Just two? Why limit yourself?

Depending on how you count, I've got two at work, three at home with one for the wife and one for the kids. I really need to get one more for the kids since they've started fighting over it.

Your solution has merit, if all you want to do is play games on the PC. You may run into issues if you need to sync data between them.

I can't imagine not liking having more than one.

20. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Wow. So, I've pretty much made up my mind now: Gaming PC and a Alu MacBook. Now I just need to see if I'm getting the other $800 back. If not, I have no idea what I'll do.