PC or Mac? Buy now or wait? (Mostly for music)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Whiz, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Whiz macrumors newbie

Hi! My currently PC are getting more and more tired, so I´ve begun to think about to replace it. I´ve also decided to buy a mike (a Shure Beta 58A, to be used mostly playing live but also for some light recording) and an audio interface so that both me and my band could do some pre-real-recording-recording :p.

And now I got two choices:

-To buy parts to and build a own PC, which would cost about 1000$ for a good one. If I choose to do this I would buy it at the end of this year.

-To buy a iMac, probably the better of the 20' or corresponding (ending up costing about 1700$). If I choose to do this I would buy it at the beginning of next year or even wait until rumored nehalem.

So basically the question I need advice on is if it´s worth it buying a Mac over a PC? I would use it for said recording and maybe some gaming, though that isn´t the important part...

I live in sweden, regarding the prices.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I started off making music on Windows, using quite a few different software packages, although mainly Cubase.

After having moved to doing everything on Macs, I wish I hadn't gone and spent the money I did on the PC. There's no competition.

IMO, Logic Pro 8 is simply the best sequencer on the market. The bundled plugins are exceptionally good - far better than those bundled with Cubase.

In the medium to long term, music making on a Mac is much cheaper from my experience.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

Well if you've been using Windows software for recording then maybe you should stick with what you're comfortable with, but assuming your audio device is compatible I'd definitely recommend using a Mac with Logic 8.

4. Whiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I havn´t got either audio interface or program yet, so that´s not an issue. Although I know some about for example Cubase it doesn´t really matter, and I´ve only heard good of Logic.

Seems like that´s how it is going to be. Do you recommend any audio interface? I guess Firewire is the way to go, otherwise I could buy it already and use it with my current computer...