PC or Mac for college

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darthen, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Darthen macrumors newbie

my senior year is coming up and I would like to have laptop by the time my senior year is over, the question is Mac or PC

ill be going to a trade school, or one where the focus is creative arts, as I want to be an actor, and i know i pretty much wont survive without a laptop. So which would i be better off with.

Also, if mac, what would be the best mac to get.

2. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Heh, silly question to ask on a Mac Fanboy forum, no?

Of course anyone here will recommend a Mac.

But realistically speaking, right now a regular 13" Aluminum MacBook is a pretty decent value. Especially if you take build quality etc into consideration when comparing it to PCs. - So if you'll be choosing a Mac, a regular base model Alu Macbook would be the one to get.

What would you be doing on it? As much as I hate to say it, if all you'll be doing is web browsing, im, and text editing, a PC will do all those things perfectly fine.

3. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Well, you are on a Mac forum... and I am a Mac fan, so I must recommend a Mac over a PC. I think the MacBook will work for you, since you didn't mention the use of any particular software that would run better on a MacBook Pro.

4. Darthen thread starter macrumors newbie

no thats not all ill be doing, i really dont know anything about macs, but i hate using PCs. since im not really going for corperate business stuff, going more laid back and such i think i mac would be best.

About how much do those 13 inch aluminum macbooks cost?

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You ask this question on a Mac Forum? What do you think you are going to hear here?

THat said the way to decide is to think about the SOFTWARE. What applications will you want to use? Get the computer that runs those best.

For me, I like and use Apple's "Logic Express" and Aperture an a little bit of Final Cut Express. THose programs don't run on my Linux system, so I bought a couple Macs.

Which Mac? See if you can use the small 13" screen on the Macbook. If you can then that's all you need otherwise you will need the larger MBP.

6. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Even though I think OSX is superior to windows, I think the answer to this question depends on what you're studying and what OS's your new school will offer technical assistance for.

7. shneady macrumors member

You'll be very happy with the base model white macbook as well. In my opinion, it's not worth the extra $300USD for the unibody macbook. Especially for what it sounds like you'll be using it for. Unless you just have to have the bigger trackpad that's also multitouch, 40gb more in hdd space, DDR3 ram over DDR2 ram and subjectively style (I myself still like the classic white better, but can see why people think the unibody is more stylized). Just do a little more research, you'll know which one is best for you. Oh yeah, also if you need firewire, the white macbook still has it, the unibody is not offering firewire at all... Just some thoughts to keep in mind as $300USD is a lot more money for what the unibody macbook is offering over the white macbook. Hope that helps a little bit.

Oh yeah, and as a long time windows user, short time mac user, Mac all the way. You'll love it. Haven't regretted making the switch one bit. The mac is just so much more efficent, faster and responsive in everything it does/you do. I'm still amazed everyday. Epecially when you come from a windows world, you just have no idea... But that's a tangent and whole 'nother story in itslef....

-S

8. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can always dual boot with Windows, if needed.

10. benbridle38 macrumors newbie

just remember, as your a student, go on the student apple store. you can get savings of up to 15% and you automaticly get a free 3 year apple care plan (aka 3 year warrently).

just type student in that little blue search field on the left in the store.

If you want something that will last a long time, and will enjoy whilst using it, then id say a mac. if money is a big issue, then mabie pc, but look at the student prices 1st.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You get AppleCare for free only in the U.K.

12. sutherlacd27 macrumors newbie

I just tried to start making a switch and im about to say screw it. if youre web browsing and text editing pc all the way. if youre doing video and music stuff all the time then get a new mac. but for performance for the dollar i think the pc is cheaper

13. txnoob macrumors 6502

There may be some truth to that. However considering longevity, some would argue that you'd buy 2-2.5 PCs for every 1 Mac. My almost 5 year old Emac still runs the latest version of OSX almost as well as my new '09 Mini. My son's now 7 year old G4 PowerMac run's the latest version of OSX well also. Those were just examples, and I'm sure not everyone is of this opinion. I have a 5.5 year old PC machine that WILL NOT run Vista or Windows 7 Beta. I don't mean just runs it badly, I mean not at all.

So, I say that to emphasize that I believe that there's more value in the Apple machines. I coud probably still sell this 7 year old PowerMac for $250 or more. I've had the windows machine on craigs list for 2 weeks at $50 and no one even made an offer! :)

14. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Have you considered trying Linux? It's a free operating system.

15. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

in college, realistically all you need is a good Office suite. So, considering Microsoft Office 2007 is the best one, I'd get a pc to save some money. But the Macbook 13" unibody can run Windows, so it really goes for what look you like.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unless you have a computing major. Then you need XCode.
    Or a physics major. Then you need physics software.
    Or an architecture major. Then you need design programs.
    Or an art major. Then you need CS4/5.
    Or a film major. Then you need Final Cut Studio.
    Or a major in any of the sciences.

Oh, and screw Office. Get iWork. :p

17. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Windows has CS4 so you're good to go with that. My recommendation would be the macbook unibody and then run windows if you want

18. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I find iWork and neooffice to be much better than even the windows version of ms office.

If you hate working in windows then have a go of a mac in store or wherever you can and make your decision that way.

Much better to pick what you are more comfortable using than just going for the cheapest because it is something you will be using daily for years to come.

19. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

That's why I would get the MacBook Unibody. Then you can use windows if you want.

20. Darthen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well see im going to a trade school, and If I could make videos and all that stuff I would, but i lack a video camera and just trying to make a video in Windows Movie Maker is a huge pain.

So my major will be definatly more in the creative line of work.

21. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

If you want battery life, light weight, pretty good support, and a good operating system go mac.

A PC does everything but the above. If you don't use the laptop unplugged very often then I would go for the PC. It can do the same things, and saves you money.

22. MTI macrumors 65816

Depending on how much computing horsepower you actually need, you may want to also consider a lower priced 'netbook' like the ASUS, Dell Minis, or HP products. Compact, good battery life from solid state drive and no optical drive, built in wi-fi, and the Intel Atom can run Ubuntu/Linux, Windows XP or even (don't tell Steve I said this) . . . OS X Leopard, for the "hackintosh" experience.

23. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

You're joking right?

Umm........ Mac, after all these are the MacRumors Forums so Macintosh all the way baby! ;) :cool:

24. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Macs are awesome machines i suggest you use one for a week or something to see what its like first.

25. sutherlacd27 macrumors newbie

what are you talking about? Dell makes the xps m1330 under 4 lbs with an upgraded battery able to run hours on hours. and its under $1000 too.