PC or MAc

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Private Dirt, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

I am going after work today to search for a new computer. I recently purchased and iPhone and ever since I have been on this site quit a bit. I have always used pc's and my question is why should I get a Mac over a pc? I will be getting a desktop, if that helps. I do know that Macs are a bit more expensive so why should I pay more?

I basically use my current pc for music, photos, bill paying and internet... such as watching videos. So I dont need any spectacular features that im never going to use.

Your help is greatly appreciated becasue I am torn between the two brands.

thanks!

2. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Are you interested in a Mac Pro? (I ask because you posted this thread in that section).

You only need the most basic of Macs (or PCs) for your list of tasks. If you already have all the "bits" (monitor, USB keyboard, USB mouse), a Mac Mini would work very well for you.

As for Mac vs PC - you're going to have to use a Mac yourself and see. If you switch, it apparently takes around two weeks of frustration before you get used to it and then love it.

3. Private Dirt thread starter macrumors regular

Private Dirt

Im basically interested in a desktop.. I do however like the look of the Mac's.. I am a big fan of white!

Ya, when it comes to computer usage it pretty basic with me. I am getting a video recorder too, so I will probably mess around with some editing. But my fuse is real short so my editing career my not last very long..LoL

I just find decision like this extremely difficult... Im that guy that buys something, takes it home and wishes he would got the other one! Retarded I know!

The decision would probably be alot easier if I had ever used a Mac in the past.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

maybe today isn't the day to buy then. go to wherever you can use a mac (apple store, best buy) and mess around with it for 15-20 minutes. then go home and think about it. go back a few more times to mess around with the mac. then in a week or two, make your decision.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Desktop = iMac

You can get refurb at
    store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
    Looks like new and same warranty as new.

6. Wormy23 macrumors member

I agree with the Consultant. An iMac should be enough for the tasks you listed.

Also, the refurb store is great! You pay a lot less for the computer and it comes with the same warranty as a new system. If you're really paranoid about it breaking down, just get Apple Care! I've had my refurb MacBook Pro for over a year now, no complaints.

7. Bartman01 macrumors regular

If you have to ask, then you need to do some research. If you can't come up with a good answer (for you) why you want/need a Mac then just get a PC and save yourself some money.

Asking here on a Mac forum will likely get you 99% 'buy a Mac' answers.

I personally am getting a Mac Pro sometime this year for the following reasons:
    1) Mac because there is some Mac only software that I would like to use. Photography is a big hobby of mine and I do some video editing from time to time. While the PC does 90+% of what I need in these areas, the Mac just gives me more options.
    2) Mac Pro because I 'need' the expandability, want to run Virtual Machines and the extra horsepower is nice for Virtual Machines and trans coding large HD video files from our camcorder. I can load a Mac Pro up with several internal hard drives and tons of memory. Then I can either dual boot into Windows (if needed), or more often just run Windows in a VM for the Windows only tools/software that I have to use. We use VM heavily for work so I can also run those on the Mac Pro when at home instead of the older and slower Dell laptop.