PC or MacBook??? Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by martin1636, Jan 29, 2008.

1. martin1636 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

Ok, I need to make a big decision and I kinda need your opinions and advices.

Here's the thing: In May I'll need a new computer, so I'm hesitating between a Windows based PC or a MacBook.

Here are the specs of the both:

The PC:
    CPU: Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB DDR2 RAM
    HDD: 500 GB SATA-2
    Graphics: GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3 or the 9 series if they're out till May
    Optical Drive: DVD RW +/- CD RW +/-
    Operative System: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

The MacBook:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB DDR2 RAM
    HDD: 120 GB
    Graphics: Integrated Intel GMA X3100 144 MB RAM
    Optical Drive: Apple's SuperDrive (This is same as the PC's)
    Operative System: Mac OS X "Leopard"
    (Note: Some things may change because Apple may release the new MacBook somewhere around May-June)

My main concern is the MacBook's AWFUL Graphics Card!!! That and the CPU are the only things different between these two above (The HDD doesn't matter), but I'm hesitating about the Graphics Card, if the MacBook had a dedicated Graphics Card I would buy it without any thoughts.

On the one hand I have a PC with the best performance, but it's not mobile - on the other hand I have a mobile laptop with also great performance but with a very bad Graphics Card which won't allow me to play good games.

So what do you think? And I don't think I'd buy MacBook Pro because MacBook in my country is 1000 euros (and the PC is also around 1000 euros) and the MacBook Pro 2000 euros otherwise I'd get the Pro one. Actually I can get one for cheaper if someone lived in the US and mailed the MBP to me but I don't know anyone in the US.

Cheers! :)
    Martin

And... Thanks for reading. :)

NOTE: Microsoft will release Vista SP1 until May, that's why I wrote SP1.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your emphasis is on the video card. In addition it's a desktop vs. a laptop.

I have a MacBook & minitower.

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

if your a heavy gamer go with pc, if you dont game go with mac. seriously i had a qaudcore machine

Qaudcore 3.6ghz 4GB ram 4x1TB 7600GT and its good at gaming for now till 9800gtx is out but my macbok with 4gb beats it in everything over than gaming

so my advice is mac = nortmal user/pro PC= Heavy Gamer

i like mac so much since i switched that im thinking of selling my qaudcore pc for mac pro to bootcamp with :p

4. martin1636 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please reply I really need your opinions, that's why I've posted this here. And BTW, if the next generation of MacBook has a dedicated graphics card I won't even think about getting a PC! The graphics card is my only concern! I need your advice what to do if the MacBook doesn't get a GPU! :confused:

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

it won't.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I would go for an iMac if I needed a desktop, and the MBs graphics card doesn't matter unless you're a gamer, so are you?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suspect an update this Fall to to Montevina and the GMA X4500.

I wouldn't get an iMac if your concern was the video card.

8. martin1636 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not a gamer, but sometimes I like to play online games with my friends like Counter-Strike, World Of Warcraft and Battlefield 2...

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're not a gamer then why did you suggest the midrange powerhouse desktop?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I dumbly switched from my MacBook to a Windows desktop with higher specs... The MacBook would blow this PC away by a long shot.

If the GPU is the only thing holding you back, still consider the MacBook. I believe it can run those games decently as they are fairly old. Go to YouTube and search "world of warcraft macbook" or similar, that could get you a rough estimate of what kind of performance you can expect. I'm no gamer, though.

12. lasuther macrumors 6502a

The MacBook isn't going to get a dedicated graphics card. If you can live without it, get the MacBook. If you have to have it, get an iMac with a iLugger bag for portability. I have a 20" iMac that I carry around to friends houses.

13. diepc macrumors newbie

diepc

Mac or PC

b/c games dont matter that much, get the Mac it will play all the games u mentioned anyway :) excpet BF2 which i am personally doing some research on to find out if you can play BF2 the MacBook. I f apple releases X4500 as mentioned by eidorian, then the MB will play BF2. i have seen pc's running BF2 and even cod 4 on x3100, though i am trying to figure out how. any way laptop beats desktop just about any day. if you need it soon get the MB now if not wait and see if the X4500 is released:apple:

14. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I went through this myself back in January. What it boils down to is will you use the laptop for hardcore gaming? You have to look deep within yourself to answer that question. I was waffling back and forth between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, but ultimately decided that I just wasn't going to be playing any hardcore games on any laptop, so I saved myself the money and got the MacBook.

I already have the PS3, 360 and Wii as well as a PSP, and I don't have time to use all of them. And if I ever do get the urge to game when I've got the MacBook, there are some nice freeware and shareware titles out there that can tide you over until you get somewhere else.

Save yourself the headaches if you aren't going to be doing any hardcore FPS gaming and get the MacBook. I'm a switcher and can never go back to Windows again. :apple:

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

If you like gaming, get the PC .... Seriously!

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think this is more like desktop or a laptop. Once you make that decision I think it would go a lot easier.

If you are looking for power, go with the desktop, if not then go with the MacBook.