PC or MBP15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Haarith :), May 12, 2012.

1. Haarith :) macrumors member

Hey there guys, in june or july i will be getting a new computer and i am really confused now.. I dont know if i should get a MBP or a PC, i find the macs beautiful in design and honestly they give where i live a good reputation. I am doing A levels next year and i am looking for a computer which is good for watching 1080p movies and has plenty of storage, i am looking for a computer which is fast and can handle gaming such as diablo 3, aion, skyrim and command and conquer. Thing is i dont do video editing i am just a casual user but i love the USI for macs compared to PC's. I am not concerned about price at all i really need your help guys...

2. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Sounds like you are looking for a few "you should go for a Mbp"-pads on the back. You appear to be drawn to the Macbooks, and I suppose thats reasonable, theres hardly any PC laptop that can be compared. (In my opinion)

I got my first Mac ever in October 2009, it was a Mbp 13", I loved it, I really enjoy sitting with it. The other day my new 15" Mbp arrived. Im not going back to PC ever... unless Apple ruins them. Unless you run specific software that arent available for Macs, the only reason not to go Mac would be economical, and since that isnt an issue, Im sure you will love the Mbp 15". Worst case scenario, you can just sell for a very nice second hand price and get a PC.

3. Haarith :) thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! But i am a little unsure about the gaming side of things... My dad says get alienware but i cant exactly go running around in school with an alienware desktop.i think i am going for the MPB.

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I just purchased a Early 2011 High-end Mbp 15" which I intend to play D3 on, Ive also tested Half Life 2 and Borderlands briefly, both seems to work fine, Borderlands has some twitching but it felt like it was more because of the mouse than anything else, plus I only have 4GB of memory atm, which really isnt enough for games, I have 8GB coming on monday just in time for the D3 release, so 8GB of RAM is highly recommended. I just tested the games very briefly and quickly got page-outs so Im hoping for a bit extra performance when Ive fitted the memory.

Im sure youll get more performance if you pick a proper gaming PC, but it depends on how much performance you need, and how much youre willing to compromise to get all the other awesomeness the Mbp gives you.

5. Haarith :) thread starter macrumors member

Sorryy just one more question will i be able to watch 1080p movies?

6. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I must admit I havent tried watching 1080p movies, but with quad core and decent RAM and decent GPU I really cant see why you couldnt, except that the screen isnt actually have the full HD resolution. Id be extremely surprised if the performance wasnt enough to run those vids. :)

7. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Most certainly

My old old 2008 mbp core 2 duo with 2ghz can.
    The iPhone can.

What do figure of a brand new quadcore i7?

8. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Any modern laptop (even some netbooks) can play 1080p. The MBP 15" doesn't have 1920x1080 screen resolution but it can easily play 1080p movies back..it can run two 2 2560x1440 Thunderbolt displays without an issue. You should be fine for gaming (you won't be able to max out the graphics on a game but it will still work a treat!)

When you buy a mac you're also paying for the OS and that alone is a perfect reason to get it over a PC!

You save money if you buy through education store too :)

DONT buy before the 11th June though - there might be some new MBPs announced...

Edit: according to a guy on here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1372061) the 2010 MBA can play diablo III so MBP will easily be able to play it since it's probably about 10x more powerful!