PC processor fan help *Urgent*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Mar 7, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I got this Apache EP-CD901 fan

Right now, my computer is running without any processor fan, so thats why I need this installed correctly and fast.

Before this, I just installed the regular fan that the Intel processor came with.
    This fan comes with a Fan and a lil packet that says Heatsink Compounds. and 4 screws.
    I have no idea what that Compound stuff is, and would like to know where to put it.

Thanks.

2. tonster macrumors newbie

-remove intel heatsink and fan (HSF)
    -clean the top of the cpu with some isopropyl alcohol
    -put a drop (size of a rice grain or so) of the thermal compound on the top of the cpu
    -install the new heatsink and fan.

most intel socket 775 HSF are installed using push pins, where you push down the pin into a hole and it locks. to remove you would turn the top of the push pin and it should release. how do the four screw look like? if they look like regular screws/spring loaded screws, you may need to remove the mobo to install the new HSF.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, by screws I meant the push pin thingys. They look like plastic nails.

4. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

it's not fitting properly. The bracket it came with is to short for the fan to attch to it. Andthe fan doesn't attck to the processor bracket either.

5. tonster macrumors newbie

what do you mean that its too short? you might have to apply a little pressure downward onto the cpu as you push the pins. this assures that the heatsink is as close as possible to the cpu.

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Uh, by its to short, I mean, that the clips on the fan (To attach to the processor) don't reach down to the processor.

The fan is to big.

like...I don't know how to explain it, but its like....

l______________l
    \___________/
    (This is the CPU)​

and the l part is where the pins are, but they don't reach the bottom part of the fan.

7. No1451 macrumors 6502

Are you sure you have it installed correctly? A picture of it inside and outside of the case would be very helpful.

Also do note that the install will NOT be very good, the LGA775 pushpin method is frigging stupid(not nearly enough torque for a good interface).

8. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Uhh, that's the thing, the push pins aren't tall enough to reach the motherboard. If I place the fan on a level surface, the push pins don't reach the surface. They just hang in the air.

9. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, I got pictures :O

The first one is how its supposed to be, the black part attaches to the motherboard, and the fan attaches to the black part.

Second one: The fan is like that because it is "resting" on the processor, it is touching it. And the black part is attached to the motherboard, making the actual fan unable to reach the black attachment.

Attached Files:

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Maybe it's the pictures, but I'm still not seeing anything abnormal.

My experiences with these is that it's usually VERY difficult to get both sides of a fan assembly clipped down to the mobo bracket. It can take a heckuva lot of pressure to do it.

I'd recommend putting the motherboard on a towel on top of a table to do this. I wouldn't try doing it with the mobo already installed in the case.

11. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

See the two black clips on the (right) side of the fan? That clips onto the black part, which it can't touch because the processor...the actual processor is to high.

12. trule macrumors 6502

how high is too high? In millimeters please :D

13. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I would say just a little shorter than half an inch.

14. trule macrumors 6502

here is the manual, seems easy enough, I doubt it should rest on the frame, the clips should be holding the heatsink to the frame, and the frame to the motherboard.

http://www.xigmatek.com/download/Apache_CD901-usermanual.pdf

15. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes. I followed that and the same thing. Once I clip the bracket to the motherboard. And put the fan onto the processor, I have to tilt the fan to get the clips to attach to the bracket. And since I can't tilt it the other way once I clipped one side. The fan doesn't fit.

Sorry on my iPhone.

16. trule macrumors 6502

use your muscles :)

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's hard to do.

You can always get a third party heatsink and fan with screws instead of clips.

18. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

LOL I'll break my motherboard

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I know I can't physically see what you're talking about, but you're exactly describing the process. There are two clips on the fan assembly, on opposite sides. You set the fan in the bracket at a severe angle to get one clip onto the black frame. You then hold the fan in one hand while you push down on the opposite clip with the other, so that as you press the second clip downward you can align the fan on top of the processor. And yes, it's hard to do.

That's why I suggested taking the motherboard out of the case.

20. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I got a new problem. Forget the stupid fan.

When i tried to turn on my computer (After I tried the fan/heatsink), it started up and the CPU remained at a constant 100% (Its a Core2 Duo at 2.2Ghz), then it shut down. When I pressed the power button, it turned on (Fans started, hard drive spun), then it just shut off. I tried it again, it went up to the Windows logo, and shut off. In Safe mode right now, its working.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I had this happen to me before, and unfortunately in my case it turned out to be a bad USB controller on the motherboard. The only way I could pinpoint it was to disable all USB controllers in the BIOS (used a PS/2 keyboard) and restart. The problem went away. Safe mode didn't seem to make it better without disabling USB in the BIOS, though.

I think it's a good sign that you can run in safe mode - sounds to me like you have some hardware or a driver that's acting up. Try pressing F8 when you boot and choose step by step confirmation, or something like that. Take note of what is loading when (and if) the system hangs.

22. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

For the heat sink/fan problem - those push pins are just plain awful to deal with. I purchased a backplate conversion kit to screw the heat sink on. I had a problem with the HS falling off with just the push pins--not to mention they are a real pain to get on. You will have to push the pins very hard to get them in (and it will feel like the motherboard will snap), and once you get one in, hold it in while you do the others. Make sure you have the pins twisted in the correct direction while putting them in--otherwise, they wont snap in place. And it is normal for fans to be on full power during boot up. Once the system loads, the motherboard will control fan speed based on temperature (if your fan is 4 pins).

The second problem sounds to me like a driver problem. I would maybe try system recovery from safe mode. As said above this post, it could also be a few others things.

Steve

23. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, Safe Mode also just turns off my computer. I tried it right now, and in Safe Mode it lasted like 10 mins (maybe), then after that, it turned off, when I tried again, it made a green flash (The fan is a neon green, and it lights up green), and then it turned off.

24. trule macrumors 6502

you have no processor fan attached right ?

25. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I do, but its broken, and only spins for 1 second when the Power button is pressed (Well, more like 2).