Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
computer: packard bell
year sold: 1997
specifications: old has hell.. dont know much... cyrrx or something.. never heard of that
operating system: windows 98
whos: not mine

problem:
starts up... goes to check screen... stats... ram... drives... etc. etc.

then goes to windows screen

then goes to a blue screen
with a grey box that says the following:
this program has performed an illegal operation and needs to be shut down contact the program vendor

then it gives you an option to eithe click on
close or details

when you click on close it shuts down... when you click on details it gives the following:
explore caused an invalid page fault in model explorer. exe.@015f:00401f31 registers:eax= ( a bunch of other letters and numbers that are un intelligible)
any idea what the hell this is? any help would be appreciated.

im helping someone else out.

thanks

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Try...

...getting an operating system that actually exists, such as Windows 95 or 98. That might work better :). It sounds like explorer is screwing up. Also, Cyrix processors are really cheap Intel clones.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: Try...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
...getting an operating system that actually exists, such as Windows 95 or 98. That might work better :). It sounds like explorer is screwing up. Also, Cyrix processors are really cheap Intel clones.

my bad.. windows 98... its not my puter.

:D

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by TEG
Windows is corrupted. You must 1, Run Scandisk and 2, Reinstall Windows

~TEG::

okay so scan disk is a seperate disk right? norton utilities or whatver? ... or does it come with the puter or should?
pop that in and follow the instructions then reinstal windows....

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Hold down the F8 key while booting -- you should get a menu of options.

Choose the Command Prompt option.

When you get to the C:> prompt, type "SCANDISK" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

The program will prompt you to fix any errors it finds.

When the program is done, reboot the computer.

jes13

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2002
Vermont
Packard Bell! :p - - - It's just a 'starter' pc not meant for the long termers- I had my 'first' one the Packard Bell - I then graduated to a Gateway 2000 - sounds like your computer is as 'old' as mine...

I am nowConsidering using (buying) a Mac - see how that works out - I HATE Windows and all those idiot boxes you're referring to... Windows and their programs are just 'HOGS!' Take up too much room!

Perhaps you need to do a LOT of deleting of your files? (losing memory) - check your 'caches' - 'clear your history' - you can do that by clicking on your upper bar "Tool" and click onto 'Internet options' - - - I also go through my "Explorer" and 'delete' what's 'not important and/or the history and caches in there too!

Or you just may have too many, movies, music or pics on your computer? Packard Bells don't 'last' that long thou - sounds like you are ready for a new one :-(.

Face it man - - - the 'programs' themselves just get tooooo large for the computers to hold (after awhile). That's how they make their monies - - - 'forcing' people to 'have to' keep buying newer computers....

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.