PC Ram Question (confused)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ac6789, Aug 6, 2007.

1. ac6789 macrumors member

I'm planning on switching to an iMac (when I save enough money) until then, i want to upgrade my PC ram from 512mb to 2 GB.

I went to crucial.com and ran their memory test. The sites lists DDR PC3200 as compatible (Guaranteed) however my PC documentation states that the fastest speed of ram is DDR PC2700. I would obviously want the faster ram but I want to be certain that I can put this in as my local computer store is a bit harsh on returns.

I'm not familiar with PC motherboards so I'm hoping someone can help me before i drop the cash to upgrade.

For reference my Motherboard is a MSI MS-6547 (645 ULTRA)

Thanks for the help!

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well if that was the fastest speed of memory when your comp came out, that could explain it. I think it should work, and they have the guarantee, but you may wanna do a little more research if you don't like dealing with returns.

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It'll downclock to PC2700.

Dont go with Crucial, get Corsair for a bit cheaper at Newegg.

Cruical likes to have different prices on their RAM depending on what computer your using, which if you ask me is kinda fraudulent.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Your machine will only use the memory at 333MHz (PC2700), not the 400MHz (PC3200), but will be able to use either.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

For another check, you can plug your model number into Kingston's configurator - result

In this case, I would stick to PC2700 DDR-333 modules. Some of the three-socket motherboards have limitations when PC3200 modules are installed (such as actually downclocking lower than 333 or limiting the total RAM to 2 Gb -- although there are no product notes to that effect on your particular mobo, Kingston is not recommending their 400 MHz modules). Although some motherboards will utilize the higher 400 MHz speed, yours won't. Yours also won't benefit from dual-channel access even if you pair the RAM up.

The Crucial part number BTW is CT12864Z335 for the PC2700 1 Gb DIMM