PC Server's Name Starts Lower-Case in Sidebar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clayj, Mar 16, 2008.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, some of you may think this is silly and trivial, but I am one of those perfectionists who likes for things to be "just so". Here's my problem: When I open the Finder and look at the "SHARED" section in the Sidebar, I see the following:

Dynamic
    Idyllic
    logic
    Xenophobic

"logic" is a PC Server (specifically, a Windows 2003 SBS Server with Exchange 2003) on my network. My question is simple: How to get this item to show as "Logic", with a capital "L"? It bugs me that "logic" starts with a lower-case "l".

Thanks for any solutions!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To be honest I thought all SMB servers would show as all lowercase when you connected because that is just how SMB is. Maybe that doesn't make sense but I thought that was simply the case. I presume you tried to omit the name and re-type it once finder asks you for it?

3. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Well, I can't find any documentation that says Windows machines will always show up with their names all in lower-case. And I never actually had to type it in; all of the machines are in the same workgroup, so the Windows server just shows up in the Finder all by itself.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

check the full computer name in System Properties on the PC. you may have typed "logic".

5. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    No, I think it just does that. It does that on the network I help manage at my church. "Display" shows as "display" and so on... Panther showed them as all capitals, Tiger with title case, and Leopard all lowers... with all three, however, they ignore the naming conventions of the computer itself... :eek:

6. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, the first thing I did on the PC was to make sure the name was "Logic" with a capital "L".

7. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Just checking to see if anyone ever figured out a way to do this... :)