PC Software dongle on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gcpierce, Mar 10, 2009.

1. gcpierce macrumors newbie

I'm interested in purchasing a new MacBook Pro. I will need to run Windows onboard in order to utiize some GPS processing software that I use in my line of work. My question is, is there a USB cable adapter available that will allow me to plug in a software dongle to a DB25 female port? I will need this option in order to run this software license for my GPS/GIS software. Any intel you could provide would be appreciated. This is the only roadblock to my purchasing a MacBook. Thanks in advance.

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Wow, time to update your software if it's still using serial port dongles? :eek:

I think I have seen/used USB to serial converters in the past. Just Google it - there are loads of options.
    Unless you let us know exactly what your GIS software is we can't give accurate advice. It's not MapInfo is it?

3. gcpierce thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know, but the software does what I need it to do, and saves me thousands in upgrade cost. I'm using ArcGIS and also Leica Geomatics. Thanks for the reply, having not ever owned a Mac I just wasn't sure if one of the adapters would work on the newer machines...thanks again.

4. belvdr macrumors 601

I use a Keyspan 19HS for a lot of ham radio devices and it works great. It only goes to 9-pin, however you can get a 9-to-25 converter. Whether your setup will work with that can only be found if you try. I have never tried that.