PC Spyware

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gslrider, Sep 17, 2011.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Can a PC spyware affect a Mac? A friend of mine sent me an exe file, Symantec Endpoint Protection detected a Spyware.Perfect virus. I looked up what that was and found out it is a keylogger. Every now and then I open exe files (using CrossOver) sent to me by known sources. Most times the files are clean. This is the first time I've detected something. But considering it's a PC file virus, would it still affect my system? I haven't opened it yet, and my friend hasn't experienced anything on his Mac, or detected anything. Don't think I'll be launching that file, I'm just curious more than anything else. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not unless you're running Windows on your Mac.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No Windows programs, including malware, can run on Mac OS X, so none can affect your Mac. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

4. Thomas-Symantec macrumors newbie

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

6. janiff, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

janiff macrumors newbie

It will possible not affect your system, but if you worry that your computer may affected by virus, never download any unknown or unfamiliar files and software.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Looks like we have a shill for Symantec on the forum.

Any advertising from a company that makes anti-virus is of very dubious dependability. They are in the business to sell software, and they will do most anything to get you to buy.

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what crossover will do with that. It's not really windows, but I sure would't take the chance.