PC, tablet, and smartphone with different operating systems. What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozaz, Sep 21, 2013.

?

Which set of devices would you choose?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2013.
  1. Windows PC, iPad, Android phone

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Windows PC, Android tablet, iPhone

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Mac, Windows tablet, Android phone

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Mac, Android tablet, Windows phone

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Linux (incl Chrome OS) PC, Windows tablet, iPhone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Linux (incl Chrome OS) PC, iPad, Windows phone

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. ozaz macrumors 65816

Purely hypothetical question asked for fun.

Imagine you only have one PC, one tablet, and one smartphone. You can only have one OS from each source (company). How you you distribute your devices?

Notes:

By PC, I mean a traditional form factor computer (desktop/laptop). Hybrid laptops allowed as long as the screen is *not detachabale* (e.g. Lenovo Yoga)

By tablet, I mean slate form factor devices (like iPad). Hybrid tablets allowed as long as screen *is detachable* (e.g. Asus transformer)

To minimise permutations, I have bundled Linux and Chromebooks together.

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

This was actually a fun poll to take a moment to consider.

Windows computer options:

Will be most likely buying/building one soon for gaming, but last I remember iTunes for Windows was atrocious and I've had Android devices for 3 years now, so I would appreciate a bit of change.

I ended up choosing Mac, Android tablet, and Windows phone.

OS X is just fine, while Windows phone seems like a really intriguing option in terms of a mobile OS that I would love to test out. Also, I don't know of many true tablets with Win 8 (I see the Surface Pro as a laptop replacement, though RT is a possibility), but I do know Android and would be fine with that on a larger screen. It came down to wanting something new I would use more often, so I picked Windows Phone over a Windows tablet.

3. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Linux on the PC

iOS on that tablet

Windows on the phone

4. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Mac, Windows Tablet and Android phone.

Then sell the tablet and phone to fund an iPhone!

Just give me a Mac and iPhone and I will be happy for life (upgrading to the newer models every few year!)

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If I can only pick one of each, it's gotta be a PC for gaming, a Surface for on the move, and a Windows Phone, because I wouldn't use any other phone.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Mac, skip the smartphone and get a feature phone, and then no tablet.

There is no point in getting three devices with different operating systems on them. It's just money being wasted. I'd rather buy my apps for the iPhone and iPad twice, than apps for the iPad then the same app for Android/Windows Phone.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hmm, that's a tough one >_< I'd probably go for a Mac, a Windows tablet and an iPhone.

8. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not something being given serious consideration. It's just a playful thought thought experiment designed to see which class of apple product people on here value most (mac, iphone, or ipad).

----------

Not allowed. That's two apple products. I probably should not have put OS in the title as you have interpreted OS X and iOS as different. Of course, they are. But for the purpose of this exercise, they are considered the same (both from Apple).

9. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

PC -> Windows for gaming
    Tablet -> Windows tablet
    Phone -> iPhone

It's really hard to choose iOS on the tablet or on the phone but I choose it on the phone!

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Of course. I value my Mac above all in the end. And if I couldn't have an iPad, I wouldn't get a tablet. I did get an Android tablet to begin with, but I probably let the battery drain for a month without using it and then used it for my textbooks.

And unless it's a phone that I can do more than just talk and text (because I only have a phone to call my parents), then I wouldn't have one. I don't want to carry a brick, because that's mostly what a cellphone is to me, a brick that rings once every two weeks.

11. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Not allowed Windows PC and Windows tablet.
    I must have worded the original post really badly :eek:

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'd choose Mac, Windows Tablet, Android phone.

It's the closest to what I use right now anyways - Mac and Android phone.

13. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

I was thinking windows RT it's different than normal windows... But maybe a android tablet then with sd card so I could fill it with movies and tv shows

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I'd go with Mac, Android Tablet, and finally Windows Phone.

Mac for the great operating system, Android on a tablet for probably the best mix of "walled garden" and PC type situations, and then Windows Phone for a reliable smartphone OS.

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

No way I'm going without a Mac :eek:

I use a tablet mostly to read and watch video. Even a crappy Surface would probably suffice even though it wouldn't be a great experience.

Android for the phone mostly because of the app choice due to its massive install base.

16. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

May I ask why you prefer to use an Android phone over an iPhone?