PC to iMac using USB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tximacusr, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tximacusr macrumors member

I am getting rid of my old WinXP Dell, but it has files I want to transfer using a USB since the PC doesn't have a Firewire connection.

The PC is stand alone and does not have an IP address, so how do I do this? Thanks for your help!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. mapleleafer macrumors regular

If your PC has an Ethernet port, you can use an Ethernet cable to connect the two computers. You can then use Migration Assistant to transfer your files.

4. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

you can use ethernet to ethernet to transfer files.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Or even a USB stick...if it's cheaper than the ethernet cable.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I read in Macworld about a drop and drag USB cable you could buy called a wormhole switch. If you don't have ethanet it could work for you. It was made by J5create.

7. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I'd say go with the Ethernet option if you know what you are doing, otherwise, just use a USB thumb drive to transfer necessary files.

The USB caddy option seems too much trouble for such a trivial matter.

8. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I haven't ever had the opportunity to use Migration Assistant so I can't comment on that, but pulling the hard drive out and hooking that directly to the Mac is really the best way to do this IMO. Unless all you are transferring are files in My Documents, there are many other things that need to come over. Email data files, bookmarks, the inevitable files and folders on the desktop of possible multiple users, and you always forget something. Having the hard drive there makes it easy to get anything left behind. This also eliminates having to double copy things, from the PC to USB and then to the Mac. 1GB of data? Not so bad. 50GB? Brutal.

9. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

True. I was assuming it was simple files and things, but if you need to import lots of data and stuff, Migration Assistant would be the best option, whether with Ethernet or with a HDD dock.

But you know, if the laptop is old, it probably uses IDE, and IDE HDD enclosures are pretty expensive where I live :p

10. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I have a USB cable that has connectors for 3.5 and 2.5 IDE drives as well as SATA, so it is just a matter of plugging the drive into the cable. Pretty inexpensive and worth it's weight in gold if you are doing consulting work like I am. :)

11. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

I tried using MA, but the PC needed to have XP SP3 installed, which it did not have and didn't want to download and install. I did download the MA for PC but still didn't want to make a connection. This, after I connected the PC on the same network, disabled any restrictions and accesses to the PC.

I then attempted it through Utilities "Connect to Server." Didn't work either. I just decided to use my USB, which took me all afternoon and evening to complete. Nevertheless, I got it done.

12. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Where did you buy it?

13. glitch44 macrumors 65816

How big are the files? You could install dropbox on both and drop them in there. With their "same network" check, the files won't even have to upload to dropbox servers.

14. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft