Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hey,
Because I should be getting a MBP (15inch, 2.4GHz), I would like to find some way of transferring files (mainly music) from my PC to the MBP. I now realize that I have a ton of music on itunes, and transferring the files could be a hassle, but I currently have one possible way of doing it:

I have an external HD, and what I would do is take all the music from my PC, and put it onto the HD. Than I would plug the MBP to the HD and get all the music from their. Only problem is it would take a crap load of time to copy/paste all that music on/off the HD.

I was wondering if I could make a direct connection between the MBP and the PC... Could I make some sort of firewire connection? It would be easier to do this because I wouldn't have to deal with the external HD.

EDIT: Oh and I just read this:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Recovering_Songs_from_an_iPod
And it explains that I can recover songs from my Ipod... Would this be a better idea?

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Thanks for the help, I think i'll go the route of taking the music from the Ipod... it seems to be the easiest.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
For all other files connect using ethernet. Apps like ipoddisk will extract from the ipod. That is the best one that i have found but you can use whatever works for you.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
ensure you have windows file sharing on in the sharing prefs
a standard crossover or non straight through ethernet cable works fine.
just plug into both ethernet ports on pc and mac, in the pc type \\yourmacbookname and it will prompt you for the login account details
locate the folder you wish to copy files to, then just drag and drop
although i find xcopy more useful as you can use triggers for various things.
mac to pc dosnt work so well as the filenames supported by mac are not neccesarily supported by pc.

Heraldic55

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
I have a similar question to what was posted above. Just bought a MacBook Pro last week, and this weekend, I spent some time transferring my MP3 collection from my old Dell to the new computer (aside to the OP: there's a tutorial on the Apple website, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304721, that explains how to do this. Really, really easy).

The problem arose when, after iTunes on the Mac decided to "organize" my music library, a number of songs went missing. If it were entire albums, that would be easy to spot, but in many cases, it wound up losing parts of albums. Does anyone know of a script that could compare the iTunes library on my PC with the one on my Mac to determine what is missing? If that doesn't work, I think I'm just going to have to bring everything over again.

Thanks!

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
im going to get a macbook in like couple days..and what i will be doing is to open my current pc take the HD(containts like 50gb of stuff i want) and connect it to the mac by usb by using a HD cover i have...so i will be able to get get all the huge files by much shorter time! =D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.