PC to Mac Font manager/converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Source, May 18, 2009.

1. Source macrumors member

Hi guys, :)

After a year I've finally convinced my business partner to go mac but the one thing he's worried about is all his fonts.

Can anyone, preferably someone who's been through the process of taking their fonts from PC to Mac recommend a font manager which will allow him to use all of the fonts on his PC on his new Mac? He has font types like .pfm and .pfa, as well as the usual True Type pc fonts.

Thanks!

2. hardax macrumors regular

I am using Linotype's Font Explorer X which seems to handle PC font fairly well. Bonus is that it free!

If you need to convert a font then TransType Pro is a must. Converts any format font to any other format. Has saved my but a number of times.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It just so happens that OpenType fonts need no conversion to work across platforms. TrueType fonts are a different story altogether. There are at least 3 different "TrueType" font formats, and they're all incompatible with one another, but programs do exist to convert these.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If someone is running MacOS X, then there is no need to convert any version of TrueType. MacOS X understands them all.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Figures that this would be the case. Thanks for the info!