PC to Mac iPod Question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dubs, Aug 16, 2007.

1. dubs macrumors member

I did a forum search and couldn't find anything about this. I have had a pc until this past weekend when I bought my mbp. Since then, I have downloaded and purchased songs on my mbp, but when I connect my ipod to the mbp, it does not upload the songs I have downloaded onto it. Is there a way to get itunes to upload songs onto my ipod from my mbp? I have the latest gen 30 gb video ipod.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'm pretty sure you have to format it to Mac

3. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

no not true, if the ipod is formatted for windows it should work with OS X as well, that being said a Mac formatted ipod will not work with a windows machine... ive had many windows formatted ipods connected to my macbook at school and have given friends music, it works, your problem lies elsewhere...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

-kritter-'s right. Macs work with Windows-formatted iPods just fine. What are your iPod sync settings in iTunes? Is the iPod being recognised by iTunes? :)

5. dubs thread starter macrumors member

I am not quite sure what my sync settings are. Where would one check? The ipod is showing up in my itunes.

6. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

these are your sync settings in the red circle..:)

Attached Files:

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

when i made the switch from pc...i HAD two format my ipod in able 2 upload new music

8. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

you mean "to" and you didnt HAVE to...sry for correcting your spelling, i have a huge pet peeve when it comes to people using the written form of the number 2 as a subsitute for to or too...im weird like that... but yah it does work and its nice to have the compatiblility to use an ipod between a Mac or a PC for music and even for moving files and such between the two...when its a Mac formatted ipod you just cant do that, not apples fault windows cant read or write to HFS+

9. dubs thread starter macrumors member

it says that my ipod is synced with another itunes library and can only be synced with one at a time, then it asks me if i want to delete all the songs off my ipod and replace them with stuff existing on my mbp. Also, kritter, how did you access that screen?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just click on the iPod in iTunes and it should give you that screen. Yeah, you can only automatically sync with one library. Are you wanting to replace everything on your iPod with what's on your Mac? Have you transferred your iTunes library to the new Mac?

11. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

k when itunes detects your ipod it will show up under a catagory called Devices on itunes, it will be on the left hand side...you just need to click on your ipod and it will bring you to that screen, heres a pic to help you along

Attached Files:

12. dubs thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the help, now i just have to drag/drop 20 gb's of music/video into my new itunes with senui. Thank you once again!

13. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I have a similar issue here. I am runing iTUNES on a XP and when an iPOD is conncected iTUNES recognises it but does not transfer at all, I was also told that WMP can recognise a the iPOD, but when placed here it does not.
    Also does the MANUAL sync errase all the files on the iPOD!?

14. songa macrumors newbie

im not sure if this applies to the ipods, but i know this applies to hard drive partitions when dealing with windows (like when I installed bootcamp and XP onto my imac). Basically, windows uses NTFS or FAT 32 format, and mac uses HFS+. In order for a harddrive to be compatible with BOTH OS, for writing and reading data, you must format in FAT32. Mac's can only read something in NTFS but cannot write on one, I believe. Therefore, you may need to check the format of your ipod, and if you have the option, format it for FAT32. Goodluck!

15. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

well if you have a mac and your ipod is set to automaticly sync with it then it will not be able to do so on your windows machine, as far as i know you can only have your ipod auto sync with one computer, and then you can manually add songs on other computers, be it a mac or a PC...
    i dont know anything about WMP so i cant help you there.
    and no managing your ipod manually will not erase anything, it will just allow you to drag music onto your ipod via itunes and allow you to manually delete content via itunes....

16. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hijack this thread (again), but I'm curious about something as well.

I just got a 30GB Video iPod for $50 with the mail-in rebate when I bought my Macbook. I uploaded it to my Macbook first so that it'll be formatted for a Mac. However, I still plan on getting the next-gen iPod and giving this one to my family. However, nobody else here has a Mac so would it ever be possible to re-format my 30GB iPod to a Windows machine so they can use it?

Thanks!

17. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

of course, all one would need to do is format it as fat32 on a windows machine then the ipod should go into recovory mode then assuming its still pluged into the windows machine open itunes and restore the ipod, and then you will have a windows formatted ipod...

18. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Well if nothing works out you can always send you iPOD to me, I have a Mac!!!!!
    LOL J/K :D

-kritter- Thanks for the advice there, I was coming to that conclusion after speaking with a co-worker who owns an iPOD! Will try this tomorrow at work since it is there that I use a PC :( blech!!

:apple: