PC to Mac media server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cichlid81, Dec 26, 2009.

1. cichlid81 macrumors newbie

The last PC left on my network has been relegated to being used solely as a media server which I use tversity to push media to my PS3 wirelessly. Now its been working out relatively well but I would like to be able to be rid of the PC and simply integrate this function into my Mac. Also, my PS3 only contains an 80GB HDD so its a constant issue of manually moving and erasing content on the PS3. Doing research on how to accomplish this is making my head spin with all the different ways I could do this. I also have a separate issue of backing up all the macs manually every week via a USB HDD. Ideally I would like to just add a bunch of external storage to the PS3 and stream the content once and be done, but then I'm still stuck with the PC and it still does not address the backup issue. I know time capsule would work, but I already have plenty of storage and a good router. I'm willing to spend the money on whatever I need but would like to do this as efficiently as possible with the hardware I already have if possible. Thank you for any help

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

time capsule is probobly a no go, the PS3 I am sure cannot read an HFS+ partition and for media fat32 doesn't allow an adequate file size. You probobly should partition your harddrive in your mac (or a large external hdd) so you have an NTFS partition for your media, put paragon NTFS on your Mac which will allow you to read and write to NTFS and then have the PS3 just pull the files over the network (I dont have a PS3 but I assume that is possible). I am guessing if you just turn file sharing on on the mac the ps3 should see the network drive