PC to Mac, retain settings, etc...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cyroceon, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Hello all,

I will be buying a Macbook in the near future and I just want to know the proper procedure for migrating my iTunes, specifically my iPhone stuff over. Basically, I got my contacts as vCards and I can export my calendar from Outlook into iCal just fine. The thing that is worrying me is my songs, playlists, etc... How can I get get the backup of all iPhone settings and stuff over to the MacBook? Can I copy the iTunes iPhone backup from the windows machine to the MacBook?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

im not sure about copying the itunes library file should do the trick. it is located in the itunes folder under your music. it should be a data file called iTunes Library. this will keep your playlist data and information. copying the whole itunes folder might be easier

3. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I'm familiar with this method, however I did not know If it would work. I dont know if the iTunes folder on mac is organized the same way.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

it is, it should be at least

5. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I just did this recently for my Dad's iPhone when he moved from a PC to an iMac. On the PC I transferred all the songs to the iMac on their own and I also exported his playlist that he used with the iPhone. Once the iMac was set up and the actual music had been transferred, I just imported the playlist I had exported from the PC. It worked fine that way for me.

6. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

But when you went to sync up the iPhone did it retain the iPhone settings and import them to the new iTunes on Mac?

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

As far as I know it did. Since it wasn't my iPhone I can't be 100% sure, but I usually get a call whenever my dad can't figure out why something happened with his phone or computer and I didn't get a call, so that tells me that nothing changed. Again, I'm not 100% sure on that one.