PC to Mac switch... any tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecman123, Oct 27, 2009.

1. thecman123 macrumors newbie

I am getting a macbook pro 13" for christmas... coming from a pc, i have never owned a mac before. Is there any tips or any certain apps i should get or know about? thanks!

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If you need some Windows apps you could use VMware or Bootcamp to run windows or if you want to run the Windows programs in OSX natively you can get crossover, which is quite helpful really.

The switch is really quite easy (even though I still use my Windows 7 desktop) really it is almost unnoticeable. But if you want some app specific suggestions you should probably tell us what you plan to use the machine on so we can give you some better suggestions.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

just play with it and you will get the hang of it. Also go to Barnes and Noble and read up on some books on Snow Leo.

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

There's a free/open source app thread around here, check that out. Learn the keyboard shortcuts; makes navigating things much faster. If you need Office, just download Openoffice.org; it's free, and does 90% of what MS Office does.

Virtualbox from Sun is free as well, and runs Windows (XP as well as 7) beautifully in a VM.

5. Punker macrumors member

Before you buy a mouse, try many of them. They don't behave all the same.

I find that the cursor behaviour on a Mac is very different from the feel we get on a PC with Windows. (it also change from mouse to mouse).

There are 3rd party apps you can install to try to customize this "feeling" but i couldn't copy windows mouse pointer behaviour.

I decided to give up on those 3rd party apps and try to get used to it. It's slowly working, but i'm definitely not a fan of this feature.

6. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

7. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

what does that do? (on win machine now, can't check)