PC to Mac Transition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by georgehito, May 6, 2012.

1. georgehito macrumors member

I'm planning on buying a MBP soon, and I want to be able to transfer my iTunes library from my PC to my Mac in a hassle-free way. I want to be able to keep all of my playlists intact too. I've read a few guides online, but they all require the installation of special software (which I feel is unneeded).

Is there an easy, quick way to do this?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

On the Mac there is a Transition Assistant that connects to your PC and moves things over via wifi. I could not get it to work to connect to my PC (it was on its last leg though so I pulled the hd and connected it via a cable)

Give it a try and you should be able to move everything over. Others may have had a better experience. Good Luck

4. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

----------

One more question- what will happen if I try to run Windows-exclusive applications (such as games and various things) in OSX? Will it crash my computer, or simply not run at all?

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It simply won't open. You can install windows via boot camp or a virtual app such as fusion or parallels.

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

They won't run at all. You can't install Windows software on a Mac. If you want to play Windows games that you own, you'll need to set up a second partition and install a copy of Windows on your Mac using the Mac utility Boot Camp.

As ECUpirate44 suggested, you can also install Windows in a virtual environment, but you'll get much better gaming performance installing Windows natively via Boot Camp.

7. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I believe that it will just not run. I know that my WOrd and Excel files opened in "viewer" and I could not change them until I downloaded "Pages" and "Number" and things went great from there. There are a few files from old Windows programs that I can't open but it has never crashed my Mac

8. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

I know that- but if I use Apple's Migration Assistant (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518), then my Windows-exclusive applications will invariably get ported over to my Mac (as per the description). I'm guessing I should just obliterate the Windows-exclusive files using the Trash Can.

9. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Your Windows apps won't get ported over. Your Windows files will. You can't run Windows apps on a Mac. You have to install the Mac version of those apps for them to work. You don't need to obliterate anything. Just let it transfer your files over, then carry on from there.

10. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

That's strange... but the description for the Migration Assistant states:
    "Your Files from My Documents (Documents), My Videos (Videos), My Music (Music), or My Pictures (Pictures) folders are in the Documents, Movies, Music, or Pictures folders in Finder."
    and
    "Your Files from the PC's desktop are on your Mac's desktop."

'Files' refers to applications too, does it not?

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

No, it doesn't. It only refers to documents, videos, music, pictures, etc.

I know that's a little confusing, but that's what it's referring to. Hope that clears things up.

12. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

I think I understand it now. Thanks for your help.

13. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Pretty much what it says... your DOCUMENTS, your VIDEOS, your MUSIC, and your PICTURES will be moved. Those are all individual file types... like everyone else has said, programs/applications will NOT move over, and even if they did, they would not function... .EXE and .COM's do not run in OSX natively.

***edit***
    oops, late to the game :)
    --rob

14. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

For the iTunes part, go into iTunes on your PC and select 'consolidate files'. It will put everything in one folder named 'iTunes' in your Music folder on the PC. Copy that file from your PC to the new Mac. I just recently did this. It took a while though, since I had about 100GB of music and transferred the files with an external hard drive.