PC to Mac website conversion?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sunspark*, Mar 10, 2012.

1. sunspark* macrumors newbie

I have a problem: small business, created a website years ago using Frontpage, it's sitting on the web host waiting updating.

My problem is that we are just converting/migrating everything to a new Mac, and with the greatest timing possible my pc went down, possibly permanently, due to a power surge, so I can't do anything as far as updating. I can download the site files off of my web host.. I could put Windows on the new iMac with bootcamp, but I really didn't want to do that and also I'd have to buy windows 7....

Can I download my site pages from the host onto the new Mac and use some new Mac program to update my site? i.e. is it possible to even do that, will Mac software take a pc created site and convert it? what program?

I'm not the greatest at html but I can do it if I have to, I'm kinda wanting to avoid having to hire someone to help me with this!!! I'm panicking a little bit inside to cos we just changed address and I really need to update the site... help!

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Web sites are platform-agnostic, since HTML, CSS, & javascript are simply text, and are editable on either platform. Just download the entire site from the server and you'll be fine.

Use any text editor/ HTML-editor to update the pages.

3. ddmcnair macrumors member

Careful

In September I finished Masters of IS/IT and one thing I learned is that just because one webpage displays correctly in one browser does not mean that it will display correctly in another. Make sure you test your web page on, especially after updating, on IE, Safari, and Firefox.

One other thing I would recommend is the w3c validator (http://validator.w3.org/) to make sure your web page meets coding specs. Validation can also help you with changing your page from HTML 4 to HTML 5 or another standard.

One thing I will say is that for me it seemed easier to develop web pages on a mac, than on a PC. Two tools I highly recommend are SeaMonkey and TextWrangler.

Good Luck!

4. sunspark* thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both so much for replying!!

I wasn't sure if there were like hidden PC tags in the site because I made it with Frontpage.. I thought maybe once it was uploaded to the host that would not matter....so thanks for confirming.

And I'll check out those two mac tools, can't wait to try!
    I'll let you know how it goes. :)