Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Iv just acquired a 2009 MacBook and waiting for it to come. It comes with mountain lion. Now Iv never used a mac before been pc for 20 years. Now a couple of questions is their any way I can get it to see my 1tb external hard drive their is no way I can erase that and start again it's formatted to windows. Also I want to sync my 4s to the mac without having to start a fresh is threat any way to do this it is currently synced to my windows laptop. Any help much appreciated big learning curve ahead.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Iv just acquired a 2009 MacBook and waiting for it to come. It comes with mountain lion. Now Iv never used a mac before been pc for 20 years. Now a couple of questions is their any way I can get it to see my 1tb external hard drive their is no way I can erase that and start again it's formatted to windows. Also I want to sync my 4s to the mac without having to start a fresh is threat any way to do this it is currently synced to my windows laptop. Any help much appreciated big learning curve ahead.

Hi and welcome to the Mac side of life. :cool:

Your 1TB will need no maintenance / changes. Just plug it in and OS X will see it. :cool:

The 4S is a different story, you will need to sync it to iTunes on the MacBook. I am not sure how to transfer the library across. Maybe a Google search with the terms "How to sync iPhone to new Mac" or something similar will help with that?

Regards
Robert

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cheers mate tried searching for the iPhone 5 bit no joy. Really don't want to start again on it. Am I gonna find the transition hard don't even know where I would copy my music to for iTunes on the mac to see it it's go an take some time lol

docx

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2012
UK
Try one of the tutors for mac from the App store. I am a new mac user and they were very helpful in easing the transition from Windows.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Cheers mate tried searching for the iPhone 5 bit no joy. Really don't want to start again on it. Am I gonna find the transition hard don't even know where I would copy my music to for iTunes on the mac to see it it's go an take some time lol

Your music would go into your music folder - then you just import it into iTunes the same way you would on a Windows system.

Once you start using Mac, sure, it's a learning curve. But I bet in a few weeks, you'll wonder why you didn't do the switch sooner.

Remember, ask as many questions as you need here. We were all where you are now at one stage.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Hi and welcome to the Mac side of life. :cool:

Your 1TB will need no maintenance / changes. Just plug it in and OS X will see it. :cool:
Robert

That is not actually correct. It depends if your external HDD is formatted in NTFS (which most are these days) If it is, you will only be able to read the HDD, and not be able to write (delete/add) to the drive. It needs to be in FAT to be able to do this....Or you could download a 3rd party program which will allow read/write to NTFS

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
That is not actually correct. It depends if your external HDD is formatted in NTFS (which most are these days) If it is, you will only be able to read the HDD, and not be able to write (delete/add) to the drive. It needs to be in FAT to be able to do this....Or you could download a 3rd party program which will allow read/write to NTFS

I had no issues with read / write to my external drive which is NTFS on ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.