pc to new iMac - ethernet cable.. see folders but still can't access them

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RunnyCustard, Sep 18, 2008.

1. RunnyCustard macrumors member

RunnyCustard

Hi all

I've just unwrapped my brand new shiny iMac :D (well actually is was around 5.30pm today)

I've attached an ethernet cable and managed to connect my mac to the pc... I can see the folders I've allowed to be shared on the pc but when I click on them it says 'The operation cannot be completed because the original item for 'folder name' cannot be found'.

I'm gonna cry soon.. what do I do now?

Oh, couldn't get the video to work on the ichat either! got the messaging working but no video!

I would like to boot my PC off my desk asap so that's more urgent... I have a lot of files on a 2nd hard drive (64gb) so would prefer the direct route!

Please help - I want to start playing with my new shiny toy :eek:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you connecting to the second computer through a network or are you just connecting it directly?

3. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Sounds like you might need to enable SMB (server message block) sharing. Go into System Preferences, Sharing, and click on Options, then check the Enable SMB Sharing checkbox. Windows uses SMB versus AFP.

4. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

I'm using an ethernet cable from the pc directly to the mac.

I'm hoping my HDD gets delivered today as I can hopefully transfer everything from the PC to the HDD then on to the mac!

5. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

I'll have a go at this tonight - I know I did choose sharing but can't remember coming across anything that said enable SMB so I'll have a nose around later.

if not then I'll wait for the HDD!

I'm not sure if it's because I can't remember the password for the PC - but I did change the password and tried that but still couldn't actually open the folders via the mac!
    very frustrating.... :(

I'll have play tonight.. thanks for your help Sonicjay and alphaod
    much appreciated.

6. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

I've followed the above but I can't 'see' my pc name in the finder window? How can I make it appear?

I've turned the firewall off the pc as well just in case.

My HDD isn't arriving now for two weeks! :(

7. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

well... it's showing now but I still can't access the folders! :(:(:(:(

8. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

I got some help from a friend - I'm reformatting my HDD from the PC - transferring everything on to that .. then connect to the mac, once everything is over I'll reformat it back to Mac!

phew... getting somewhere at last!
    :D

(I think I could see my pc before but that was through the wifi and not the ethernet cable... I did finally get the ethernet cable to connect but then couldn't actually get it to show up on the mac as being connected! I ended up so confused that I had to give up! lol)