PC to New MacBook Pro Drive xfer issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GhostSeq, Oct 6, 2014.

1. GhostSeq macrumors member

Ok - someone who is familiar with Xferring files to and from PC to MAC who is willing to take a few minutes - here is my issue.

I recently moved from years of PC use to a Macbook Pro.
    For the record - I have installed Bootcamp, but would like to do most things on the Mac. I have external drives (NTFS) that have many files.
    For drive format issues, I have bought Paragon software "NTFS for Mac" and "HFS for PC". I can see all drives on both sides, and my old PC.

What I am trying to do is transfer most files to drives more suitable for Mac (HFS or exFAT). I found when Xferring a host of doc files from the NTFS drive to my internal mac drive- I got errors and some files/folders wont transfer.

But lets talk my music drive specifically since the same is happening there.
    I am trying to XFer my 800GB of music files from an external NTFS drive to an external drive formatted for the mac.
    I have tried this exercise formatting the Mac ext drive HFS+ AND exFAT and get the same results.

OK

If I try to Xfer the music folders and files from NTFS DRIVE to MAC DRIVE on the MAC SIDE (not bootcamp) - I get errors saying "...unexpected error code -50..." - and files wont transfer. Its random. If I try folders it happens the most - but sometimes SOME of the files within Xfer. If I try the files individually - they mostly transfer fine. Some folders xfer with all files fine. They are all MP3 files and M4P files but error behavior is not consistent.

If I Xfer the music folders and files on the BOOTCAMP side from NTFS > MAC drive, things seem to all transfer but certain albums get flagged and say that certain properties of the files cant be transferred over and I have to approve.

Why do I get the error and cant transfer most things when I use the MAC side?
    On the PC side - what does it mean some "properties" cant be transferred for the files?

A side note - I have ONE song that was downloaded from a bands site (it was free) - and that song wont transfer at all on the Bootcamp side and says I dont have the proper permission - but on the MAC Side that one happens to transfer fine?

I can say my old PC did the same thing as Bootcamp - with the properties not transferring flags - so I dont think its a bootcamp issue.

Anyone have any insight? Its making transferring my huge music collection to mac formatted drive difficult, never mind other files I Was trying and getting similar results.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Ok, here's step by step how I did the same thing: data from NTFS hard drive to HFS+ hard drive

1. Boot into OSX. The stock drivers are all you need for this. OSX can read NTFS, but it can't write to NTFS.

2. hook up the HFS+ formatted disk and the NTFS disk.

3. Copy the NTFS disk's files to the HFS+ disk.

Done. Everything should transfer over fine.

Exfat and fat32 don't support a lot of kinds of metadata, so I have a feeling that is your issue. You want to be using HFS. HFS also has journaling like NTFS, so it is a lot safer with your data.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you are interested in more, than just plain copy of your files in MyDocuments, I would most def use Migration Assistant.
    It knows how to transfer your wallpapers, Outlook e-mails and more.
    About Windows Migration Assistant
    The only thing to be aware of: depending on the amount of data, this thing may take even 24 hours to complete!

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

If you have transfer glitches go into bootcamp, run admin command prompt and chkdsk (letter): /r the affected drive. Switch your power plan in control panel to high performance to avoid going to sleep too.

I had nightmares with paragon NTFS like MacDrive, so much so that now I use an exFAT partition for read write between the OS, have a SMB share on the LAN and leave both sides read only to each other.

5. GhostSeq thread starter macrumors member

But this is one of the things I tried - if you see in my post (sorry I know its long), when I do this under OSX - it gives me an error if I move anything more than just the actual music files. If I grab folders I randomly get error messages - more than not and things dont transfer. I formatted the drive for HFS and exFAT and got the same result either way - that is under the OSX boot.
    When I go to Windows (Bootcamp) things transfer better but I get the metadata issues.

It is not practical to move ONLY the music files as I Have about 65000 of them all organized in folders.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It might be one of those drivers you installed to get read and write access to NTFS. Try uninstalling them and see if it helps. Again, the default OSX drivers should be able to do everything you want for this transfer.

7. GhostSeq thread starter macrumors member

Well I uninstalled the NTFS For Mac driver and sure enough things transferred fine under mac OSX after that.

So the software did the OPPOSITE OF what it was supposed to do.

sigh.

Thank you!!