PC User About to Jump Aboard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by John Jordan, Feb 22, 2008.

1. John Jordan macrumors newbie

Greetings-

I'm a long time a PC user (and builder), it's time for a new box and have no desire to do another homebuild. Besides, I think I'll enjoy the Mac experience.

I've decided on a mac pro with dual 2.8's (the additional $$ for the 3.0 or 3.2 doesn't seem to be cost effective for me) with an 8800 video card. I want a basic factory config which I can be happy with so I've ruled out the 320 HD for its sluggish performance.

I considered biting the bullet with the 1 tb HD (despite the extra $$) but now wonder if the 500 gig would perform as well. Anybody know?

I have no desire to do RAID and will add my own drives (perhaps one for docs, one for scratch and one for backup) and memory later.

Thanks for your comments,

John

2. TFT macrumors member

Just do not buy extras (mem & HD) from Apple. They upgrade prices are obscene!!

3. GotPro macrumors 6502

welcome!!!

My best advice would be to get the 320 hdd and buy the hard disk of your choosing separately... U can then use the 320 for just extra storage or for a windows drive ALa boot camp!

I've added a Hitachi 7k1000 1TB drive and the thing is whisper quiet and incredibly fast :)

4. Canoehead2 macrumors newbie

Compared to a Win PC, installing HDDs in the Mac Pro is so easy it is almost unnatural.