PC user just got a MBP, cant play music from iphone when plugged in

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dirtydebutant, Mar 6, 2010.

1. dirtydebutant macrumors newbie

hi like the title says, im a windows user, im always synching from my pc at home which is the most convenient being always "on" and since it has way more storage. theyre is no way im going to transfer all my music to my MBP, and but on the road id like to be able to sync my apps, updates and maybe transfer my purchases. id like to be able to play my music through the MBP when the phone is plugged and charging.

Just in case its important; MBP itunes is logged with my account, the same thats default on my iphone and PC.

when i plug the iphone in, i can see the library but im unable to play any of it. its all greyed out and i cant make any selections other than see the properties. if i check the "manually manage music and movies" option" i get a message telling me that it can only be synched to one itunes at the time and that i need to format it or something.

like i said, im a new mac user, i find it pretty easy but im not familiar with the things that are specific to macs so maybe it could be something stupid im missing... ive searched the forums, the similar threads were talking about jailbreak iphone which is not the case here.

thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's the way the iPhone is. It's not like an iPod.

3. Hellscream2005 macrumors newbie

Actually I thought the same as the above commenter, but a friend of mine has an ipod touch and he got it to let him play music directly from the ipod on itunes. So I asked him and he told i've to select the "manually manage music and videos" option. After that is selected it should let you play music directly from your iphone, or at least it does so on my iphone 3g. Hope that helps!:)

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, I know that, but he said he didn't want to sync to his MBP. Once he selects that he's going to lose everything.