PC user moving to Mac - question about new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drmmrboy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. drmmrboy macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm anxiously waiting for the release of the new MacBook Pro but I had a question about these new models. I'm curious about your opinions on this.

My concern with the new models coming out (with the new processors) is: do you think these new models will have bugs in them since they are new? Usually first generations of anything have bugs. I'm ultimately wondering if I should wait for this new model (and deal with potential bug issues) or just get the one that's already out?

I've been a PC user my whole life but Mac's damn marketing has finally gotten to me and I want one bad. I appreciate your opinions/knowledge on this matter.

Thanks!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Apple Inc. is really expanding greater than every before, it's only comeback since it took over and owned the market beside Commodore in the 80's, and once you start using one you'll understand why ;)

The issues have to do with new models, there are rarely ANY issues with revisions. If the new processors are released in a revision model, then you have very very little to worry about. Changing chipsets is nothing new, the original aluminum iMacs were changed without a hitch, as well the Mac Pros have been changed to new chipsets with only MINOR issues in the switch to the Nehalem architecture, mostly having to do with almost unnoticeable performance issues that were fixed in a recent software update.

If it's a revision, it's my personal opinion you are perfectly safe to buy.

3. ae3265 macrumors member

I'm actually more interested in what features & ports are going to be offered. FW & Ethernet are vital to me, as well as having an optical drive.

I actually went with the 17" as the Expresscard was of more interest to me than an SD slot. I did go with the standard glossy screen, but a friend got the Matte and that's nice too. There is a glare factor on the glossy that you will either need to adjust to or go Matte if it bothers you too much.

IMO, you can't go wrong by saving at the refurb store. Same warranty, and you can get the same Applecare. Going refurb allowed me to get a little better spec'd machine for the same budget.

I'd worry much less about issues with new design than I do about issues with new OS. It's worth it to wait to upgrade OS's when the new ones come out and research things carefully. Apple is pretty ruthless about cutting out stuff they don't want and things do break, as well as the usual plethora of bugs. At this point the current OS is pretty stable, but I mention that for when 10.7 starts coming around.

Take your time to read up on using Macs and get with some Mac users. It really does benefit you to adjust the way you use and think about your computer when you switch. Once you stop fighting it and do things the "Mac way" you find a lot really is easier. But making that mental switch takes a little bit.

If you can afford to wait, give the new models some time to get out and issues to get identified and sorted out. OTOH, if you need a new machine now, the current models have good performance and are priced decently at the refurb store.

4. jlwilsonjr macrumors member

I made this jump last year and I can honestly say I will never go back to PC's. I have a dell in the office that is 4 years old that I cant wait to fail so I can replace it with an imac. I bought the unibody MBP 15" off of the apple refurb store to save some coin.

Once you get one you will wonder why it took you so long to make the jump, I wish I would have years ago.