Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TricBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I'm ready to update my 5yr old Dell Xp computer and I'm thinking of getting a mac, but don't really know which would best suit my needs. A MacMini or iMac. I don't play games just internet, music (iTunes), and pictures. I don't do alot of photo editing. The 20" iMac is a little large for my small desk that I would have to slide it out to insert a disc, not a problem, just a pain.However I also plan on getting an Apple TV and like the fact that the iMac has an 11N card. Do you think just the 2 gigs and 11G will be enough in the MacMini, or do I need to get an iMac to stream to the AppleTV? How limited is the MacMini's capabilities with just 2 gigs and its graphics card? Thanks ahead for any input.

TheVandit

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
Strathaven, Scotland
Id personally find a way to fit in an imac if possible. I was new to Mac last year and bought a 20" and its an amazing machine.

If you really cant fit it in then i guess the mac mini...

Just speaking from my great experiences with the imac. Its fantastic!

TricBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Hey Thanks! The 20" will fit, I've already measured it. Anyone do any video editing with the iMac? A vid camera may be in the future with kids getting into sports and all.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Hey Thanks! The 20" will fit, I've already measured it. Anyone do any video editing with the iMac? A vid camera may be in the future with kids getting into sports and all.

You can do video editing just fine however make sure that you get lot's of ram and make sure to get some good software you can start with iMovie HD and then get Final cut Express enjoy your new mac.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
The imac will suit your needs fine. It's a great well-rounded machine. Have fun!:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.