Pc user to Mac Noob. Help deciding which mac to get.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by van2010rulz, Jun 16, 2010.

1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

So i need a new computer, but i have saved up so much cash i can get a really sick Pc which i don't need or a Mac. I am going from PC nerd to Mac noob. I want to try things out and since i have the money i said why not. Before i go over to the Mac way of things i have a few questions. Will i see a considerable difference between the Intel core 2 duo model which is the Macbook and the Macbook Pro that has the Intel i5 chip. Now the only reason i ask this is because i don't have enough cash yet for a Macbook pro with the i5 chipset. I said i have enough for a Mac not a high end Mac. Another question is will i see a difference between 2 and 4gb of ram. For my hard drive since i will be using it for school will i need a bigger hard drive or can i put together a 1tb external usb and just save my cash. What i will be using it for is : School, Email, Skype, Windows live messenger(got to have that):p, small video editing (not with Final Cut, but small. What do u guys think? Macbook or Macbook Pro. I have also used a ibook g4. So i know how to use a Mac

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

if I were in your shoes and considering what you're going to use it for, I would go for a MacBook and save the extra dough for upgrades (RAM, HDD) and AppleCare... oh, and school.

3. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Oh one other question if i go with the Macbook will/ can i run BootCamp? Will it be slow?

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Just get the MacBook.It's a fine machine,way faster than you would think,I love my MB and I'm still using it with only 2GB of ram. :)

I do everything you do and I run Windows xp Pro in bootcamp no problem as well.

5. AshMan macrumors regular

No problems at all for me running MacBook with triple boot. Windows 7. Ubuntu and snow leopard. Lovin the mac. Should have no problems with using it for everything you would need or want to do.

6. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Get lots of RAM. Go with 4GB at least and you'll love it.

Windows flies on my aging MacBook Pro non-unibody.

7. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, but how long will this last me. I'm not paying $1100 if its not going to last.
    Oh but on the bright side saving $500 on something i don't need is a bonus.:p

Oh right i forgot. Refurbished or brand new.

8. AshMan macrumors regular

How long will it last is hard to say. My last laptop has lasted for several years though not a mac.

Know other people used same mac for several years. It is either luck of the draw or just up to individual if they rake care of their stuff

9. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ya i will take good care of it. Not like im going to abuse something so expensive.
    On the topic of expensive what better refurbished or brand new.
    Sorry if this should be another thread.

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Realistically a refurbished is better and here's why:
    A new machine comes off of an assembly line and there is spot checking to make sure the production standards are up to par. Then they're boxed and shipped.
    A refurb gets individual attention, every defect and imperfection is addressed and tested. Then they're boxed (brown instead of white) and shipped.

Both machines have the same warranty and availability of AppleCare.

11. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Why not get the 2010 13.3" 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro for only a couple hundred more than the regular MacBook? Then you get the 4Gigs of RAM expandable to 8, plus the aluminum unibody and glass trackpad with inertial scrolling. I had 2 of the white plastic MacBooks and that plastic is crap. Scratches to all hell, doesn't stand up well to a lot of travel, not to mention the ever expanding battery issue (maybe they fixed this problem in the new MacBook, I don't know, but it was a serious issue in both of mine.)

See here for eveything on the MBP 13 - http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/464058/review/apple_13inch_macbook_pro24ghz_spring_2010.html

12. miicah macrumors regular

I would seriously consider a refurbed macbook/pro

13. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok you guys are mindreaders a d answered my next question. Yes I will now consider the Macbook pro. Now if I get a refurbished MacBook pro and it doesn't work do I just call apple support and ship of back for a new one?

14. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

You could definitely get a refurbed macbook pro. If you do go new however, I might recommend the standard Macbook. Save the extra cash for upgrades (RAM specifically) and accessories (Incase makes a sleeve that is a MUST if you're going to carry it in a backpack or anything). I have a standard macbook that I will be using for school, and have used in high school, and it was like a dream come true :)

15. miicah macrumors regular

A refurb macbook pro will always work because it has been rebuilt by apple and TESTED to make sure it works.

16. miicah macrumors regular

It's the best unibody you can get without Nvidia 320M